Part 18

Gustavo waits outside with an open car door.

"Thank you"

The car ride back to her apartment is quick and quiet. A tear escapes from Andrea's eye every now and then and is quickly wiped away. They make it to her apartment and she walks straight to her room and pulls out a large bag and begins throwing clothes into it. She gets to her text books and she can't fight back the tears anymore. She quickly grabs some leggings and a long sleeve and heads for the bathroom. Gustavo catches her by her arm.

"What are you doing?" He asks her serious.

"I'm going to shower." She sniffles.

He quickly realizes she's crying backs down on his tone. "Ok but vamanos we have a plane waiting for us."

"Si I know." She sniffles back and shuffles to the shower. When she's out Gustavo somehow has all of her shoes and clothes and school stuff in his car and he's waiting on her on the couch.

"Ready?" He asks.

"I guess." She responds trying to reign in her tears. Her whole life is disappearing and all she can do is watch it happen. Her chance at grad school gone. Her apartment gone. Her possible job prospects gone. Now all she will have is him. He'll let her go to grad school and he might let her get a job after but for how long.  She looks down before the next tear falls and she exits her apartment. The drive to the airport is quiet and sad. She keeps having to wipe lone tears falling down her face. Her life in New York is done. She's Miguel's now. Not that it's a bad thing but she wanted time. She wanted a space to choose someone else but that definitely back fired.

They pull up to the tarmac and a private jet is waiting for them. Gustavo shows the guys where all of their things are in the trunk and he helps Andrea out of the car. She grabs her rolling carry on and looks out at New York. As she looks six black suvs drive onto the tarmac and corners the pair. The atmosphere shifts from sadness to fear. Gustavo shoves Andrea behind him and pulls a gun from his back waistband.

"Andy get on the plane now!" Gustavo commands.

Andy is about to turn when someone getting out catches her eye. Raphael steps out of one of the suvs. Another man on the other side steps out and aims a gum at Gustavo.

"Gustavo you have to get on this plane with me. Please don't get hurt." She tells him.

Raphael steps out and strides up.  He puts his phone to his ear and then faces it towards Gustavo and Andrea for them to see the name. Miguel. He switches the call to speaker and they can hear ringing.

"Raphael what do you want?" Miguel asks curtly through the phone.

"If I swear she'll be safe here. That I won't kill her. Can she stay in New York?" Raphael asks.

Andrea steps back surprised.

"You wouldn't be able to resist. You'd use her to get to me. I know it. No way in hell. She's on the plane right now anyway." Miguel scoffs.

"Actually I'm looking at her right now. She's not quite on the airplane yet. If she had looked at her phone we could've gone through this earlier." Raphael says eyeing her movements behind Gustavo. "Andrea, beautiful, if you could stay her in New York atleast until you graduate would you take that opportunity?" Raphael asks her.

Andrea steps closer for Miguel to hear her on the phone. Gustavo grabs her arm warning her. She gives him a reassuring nod.

"I want to stay here more than anything Raphael but I won't be used to hurt Miguel and if that's what he's afraid of then I'm leaving."

"She's leaving Raphael. Let them go." Miguel demands.

"I swear that I won't harm a hair on her head. She will not die at my hands. I'll even make sure she has proper security if that's what you want. I'll make sure she's safe here. Say yes Miguel. You know your ripping her from her life here. I can see in her eyes she's been crying." Raphael makes eye contact with Andrea so she knows he's serious.

Silence falls on Miguel's said. "Swear on your father's grave that you won't touch her." He finally responds.

"Well I can't swear I won't touch her Miguel." He laughs. "But yes." He pauses. "I swear on my father's grave that I won't harm her. I'll protect her as long as she's here." Raphael swears to her.

Another pause on Miguel's side. "Mi amor." Raphael visibly stiffens at Miguel's description. "Is this what you want? Do you want to stay in New York? Finish schoool?"

"Yes please Miguel. But only if you feel like I'm safe. I won't stay if you don't think I'm safe." Andrea breathes.

"I think you'll be safe mi amor. Stay if you want. But from now on you call me every night." Miguels says as a command.

"Every night is a bit much don't you think." Raphael interjects.

"I'll do it." Andrea answers. Raphael looks at her surprised. Her response is unwavering.

"Fine. Let me know when you get back to your place." Miguel says and hangs up.

"Thank you" she says to Raphael. She turns to Gustavo. "Did you hear that?"

"Si serñorita let's geteverything back in the car." He turns and starts telling the attendants to help get everything back in the car.

Andrea feels a hand over hers on her carry on.

"I'll drive her to her place." She hears Raphael behind her. Who does he think he is? She thinks to herself.

She steps away from him and pulls her carry on away from his grasp. "No thank you."

"I insist. This is my fault I intend to give you a very long apology." He grabs her arm and pulls her carry on to him.

Gustavo steps closer to them and reaches for his gun.

"Not a good idea." Raphael nods to his guys behind him.

"I know they're there but my job is keeping her safe so if you don't mind let go of the chica." Gustavo points his gun at Raphael.

Andrea puts her hand to stop Gustavo.

"It's fine if he insists this bad then I'll let him drive me home." She glares at Raphael.

"I'm going with you." Gustavo pockets his gun.

"Like hell." Raphael responds."You can follow behind."

"It's fine Gustavo." She tries to reassure him.

"No it's not fine it wasn't even 2 hours ago this man was planning on dropping you at the bottom of the ocean."

"Did you not hear me? I just swore that I wouldn't hurt her." Raphael jabs back.

"STOP" she yells at the both of them. She yanks her arm away from Raphael.

They both look at her in surprise.

"I'm going with Raphael. You drive behind us. It's fine." She says calming down.

"Fine" Gustavo agrees.

"Good." Raphael smiles and takes her bag and hand and leads her to the suv he got out of. She yanks her hand away from him and ignores the annoyed glance he sends her. He opens the door and she says a curt thank you and slides in. He takes her bag and puts it in the back and gets in on the other side of her.

The suv takes off and she turns to face the outside. For the first few minutes of the ride she stares outside and he stares at her at a loss of what to say.