Part 78

I wake up to turbulence. I'm exhausted both emotionally and physically but what Raphael said is bugging me. I'm nervous about walking out of the room but I have to. Miguel would never do what Raphael is indicating. Would he? No, no he wouldn't. I brush my hair and teeth and wash my face of sleep and walk into the main cabin.

Leonardo is behind his computer while Enzo looks over his shoulder. Rage oozes through his body. Raphael sits across from them looking pissed as he swirls his bourbon.

"Is this a bad time?" I say small as I walk to them. Raphael leans back and takes a large sip of bourbon.

"It was way worse than I thought." Raphael growls. My heart stutters and my legs feel like they're going to give out.

I look to my brothers. Leonardo looks at me like he's about to shatter me and he looks down at the seat next to him. I take it as dread begins to seep in.

"Sorella I'm sorry. This is going to be hard for you to hear." Leonardo squeezes my hand.

He holds up my phone that he has dismantled and has it plugged into his computer. "You see this little green spot right here."

I nod.

"It's a bug. A nasty one too. It took a few hours but I traced it back to an IP address. Do you recognize the address?"

I look and see the familiar villa I've grown to love. I nod and swallow. "That's Miguel's office in Mexico City."

Leonardo looks back at the computer. "They have been controlling your phone from there. It makes fake messages. It can send messages from your phone which he didn't utilize. Blocks phone calls and even records things around you. I'm surprised I didn't find a tracker with it."

"I removed it before I left." I respond.

Leonardo looks at me impressed. "Smart."

"So what are you saying?" I ask shakely. I'm not sure I want the answer but I need it.

Raphael speaks up. "Those messages on your phone weren't from me. Miguel created them and made you believe it was me." His hand runs through his hair frustrated. He shows me the list of the things messaged to me. Things that could have been sent to me if I sent one more phone call. It's awful. It's manipulative. It's a gross trust violation I never thought he could commit. Not to me at least.

I can't get air into my lungs. Surely he's mistaken. "No this can't...he wouldn't." Tears begin falling down my cheeks.

Raphael comes and kneels in front of me. "He betrayed you Topolina. He orchestrated this. The dates line up too perfectly with our dates of finding out who you are. How he knew what we figured out I don't know but he must've known the exact moments."

I look at Raphael and tears fall. "I need to call him. I need to talk to him..."

Raphael takes his phone from his pocket and hands it to me. "Call him. Leo is still analyzing your phone."

I nod and dial his number. Raphael makes it go to speaker and squeezes my knee. I look to him and back at the phone.

"Give her back." Miguel growls as he answers the phone.

"Miguel." I say on the verge of crying.

"Mi amor are you alright?" He asks concerned in Spanish.

"I'm ok." I'm about to cry. Asking this question is the ultimate form of betrayal he would never do this to me.

"I'll bring you home I promise mi amor." I burst a little with air and tears when he says that. He's become my home. I realized that while I was there we talked about marriage and kids. I am his and he is mine.