17 - Not Ready to Let Go

* * *

"So is this the woman you said you were serious about?" Majorie Wood asked in disdain as she threw a stack of papers on the coffee table next to where Jonathan was laying in boredom. It has been three days since he was forced to stay in this room with nothing to do. Of course, at first, he tried to escape but with the entrance being guarded 24/7, there was no way he could get out. He contacted Remi that he was meeting his older sister but that was also three days ago where he initially confessed to his sister that he was in a serious relationship with someone else before his mobile device was confiscated.

Sitting up from the couch, Jonathan's eyes widen in surprise seeing Remi's portrait along with the stack of papers that must contain Remi's detailed background causing him to instantly glare at Marjorie Wood.

"I told you not to do anything to her!" Jonathan roared in anger using his Alpha tone but as expected it didn't threaten Marjorie and instead she continued to look at Jonathan with a bored expression.

"A Beta commoner? From a farmer's household no less. She is 8 years older than you are, Alexander. Have you truly gone insane?" Marjorie asked and this time she frowned in displeasure. All this time she let Jonathan play with all the men and women he had wanted, thinking that when it was time, Jonathan would have no choice but to follow the family tradition. He had no choice, being that he is the only son born in the Wood family's main branch.

Marjorie thought that it was fine for Jonathan to play around a little. There was no harm to that, she even does it at times. But getting serious was different. Jonathan had no choice! That although the Young Alpha had always been a child who sought freedom from household responsibility, she truly still believed that just like their father who married their mother for political purposes, and their grandfather who did the same to their grandmother, and even their father, and their grandfather, Jonathan would be the same.

Alas, it looks like she was wrong and she was here to set things straight.

"Even so, I love Remi, Marjorie! You cannot dictate what I should and should not feel for someone just because she's a commoner. I don't need anyone else to validate my feelings for her and I am also not asking you to understand me but I hope you know that you can never force me to marry Margarette," Jonathan roared. He knew their family would never marry for love and he didn't want to be the same. He wanted to be with the person he loves forever or else, why would he date those men and women if he wasn't desperate for love.

"And one last time, do not dare to hurt her. You might see me as someone who cannot do anything but follow Mother and Father but do not force me to do something you would regret. You've known me all my life, dreading to leave this family long ago. If you hurt Remi, I might be forced to really do so," Jonathan added as a warning. He had never said this before but that does not mean he never thought of giving up his title. He never wanted it in the beginning.

However like Marjorie always said, he is the only heir to the Wood household, if he refused his title it would bring great dishonor to his family because he was the only son. It is the family tradition for men to inherit the family name and for women to be married off.

Of course, as much as possible Jonathan didn't want to cause dishonor to his family especially when other branches are looking for opportunities to take over the main household but he will sacrifice this much if things get out of hand. And perhaps, it might even bring peace to his family if they gave up the title they tried so hard to maintain.

"Do you understand what you are saying? You'd give up your family for a mere peasant?" Marjorie asked, her expression was stiff as if she couldn't believe what Jonathan had said. She knew the Young Alpha despised their family but not to the extent that he would abandon his title for a woman, that is not only Beta from a farmer's household but also 8 years older than him.