69 - No One's Fault (2)

* * *

"I don't understand why he's like that and perhaps I would never understand him for whatever reason he has... It hurts me to say this but Dad, he's beyond saving. He's stubborn and selfish. He would never accept his faults and would continue to insist that he had done nothing wrong... To be honest, I thought it ran in the family seeing that Daniella was the same..." Joaquinn said and even to him, his chest felt a little heavy just like Elder Sullen was feeling. He tried and tried to understand their father because despite how he is, he was still their father. The same blood was running in their veins and he thought that if he tried harder, one day Gared would change even just a little. But as years passed and Joaquinn hated that he was becoming like their mother who helplessly died trying to make their relationship and family work.

Joaquinn didn't want to give up because it was what their later mother would have wanted, but... for Maverick and Ashton, he would do anything for them to be happy and free from pain. They had suffered enough, especially Maverick, Joaquinn was sure their mother would have wanted them to be happy than suffer like her and in the end die a miserable death. Perhaps, their mother would have made the same decision as him if she had lived longer.

"I'm sorry grandpa, for keeping all of this to you. We all know you adored our family so much and wished for us to be happy and support each other just like grandma would like if she was alive... We tried and pretended for many years. We endured and suffered for it... but I could no longer stand still and watch Dad do what he did to Mom to Mav," Joaquinn finished, his eyes feeling a little hot. Most people would think that they were happy and blessed to have been born in such a wealthy and powerful household but none of those people knew how much he wondered how it would be if he and his brothers were just normal—No reputation to protect. No people pointing out their mistake. No expectations. And no pressure—maybe they would have been way happier.

"You did whatever it is you could do to protect this family and I am proud of you... You did nothing wrong... On the contrary, I wish I had known all of this way back when you Helen was alive... I'm sorry... I'm so sorry I wasn't aware you were all in pain all this time," Elder Sullen said, squeezing Joaquinn and Maverick's hands. His heart ached painfully as his tears stream down uncontrollably. He felt weak and breathless but he knew he had to apologize to the two at least. All of this could have been solved if they talked but it had become like this. This was all his fault no matter what everyone else says.

"N-No... this wasn't your fault, Grandpa... We took great effort to keep you from knowing all of this. We know that you only wanted what was best for us, that's why we chose to endure everything. We wanted you to be happy. It was all for you, Grandpa," Maverick said, tears streaming down as well. In the first place, if he wasn't desperate for his father's attention, none of this would have happened.

"No Dear, this wasn't what I wanted. A Family pretending to be happy would be no better than a broken family. I want you—my grandchildren—to be the happiest from the bottom of your hearts... I would never be happy knowing that you're all suffering..." Elder Sullen said, this time urging Daniel to come closer as well before the four of them hugged. While this was all happening, Ashton was somewhere listening to their conversation. When he walked out earlier, he realized that he was wrongfully blaming their innocent grandfather and he wanted to apologize. When he came back, they were already talking and it would have been awkward if he was to barge in so he silently listened from afar and now crying on his own.

Ashton was the youngest among the three siblings but he was forced to mature early in order to protect his older brother. He wasn't complaining or anything but he won't deny that he felt a little regretful that instead of playing like a child, he was already thinking of how to keep his sibling safe. Wiping his tears away, Ashton began walking away not wanting to interrupt the scene and decided he would apologize later on to the Elder.