46 - Old Friend

* * *

Becoming more and more frustrated thinking about what Jonathan had said earlier, Fyre groaned in annoyance, hugging his pillow "boyfriend". He really should just forget about it, but it was too difficult to do so. Anyone in his position would definitely overthink. And the more he thought about it, the more he could find reasons to slowly believe it. He had been friends with Jonathan for a long time now. He had especially gotten a little closer to him after Remi died. Maybe the fact that they both shared a bond with Remi made him reluctant to accept any of this. Jonathan was a friend who had helped him a lot, just like a caring older brother he'd never had, even though the Alpha was younger than him.

"No, Fyre! You have to forget about all of this. If you come up to him and ask, your current relationship will definitely crumble." Fyre scolded himself and finally decided to no longer think about it. Jonathan may be annoying at times, but he wouldn't want to break his friendship just because of some drunken words, ...whether they had meaning or not. Fyre was already satisfied with his current relationship with Jonathan and all his friends. He wouldn't want to do something that would ruin that. This was the first time in his life that he had acquired so many friends that would help him and take on his side, he didn't want to lose any of that.

'I should bake something... maybe like an apple pie, to keep my mind busy,' Fyre thought and abruptly stood up from his bed and proceeded to his small kitchen. He quickly began to gather his ingredients and laid them neatly on his kitchen counter before his eyes fixed onto the bag of flour. Even though he had a premade pie dough he'd bought before for when he wanted a quick bake; right now, he decided to make his own pie dough. He wasn't in a rush and the main reason he was baking anyway was to keep his mind busy. Making his own dough from scratch was the best way to do that. However, since he had been baking for the longest time now, especially at that time when he stayed with the Mos, making pie dough was as easy as breathing to him. So before he knew it, he was done and prepping the next step.

He heated his pan and quickly threw in his unsalted butter and began to melt it for the pie's filling. As he was doing so, throwing in another ingredient, his phone suddenly rang from his bed. The ringtone was the default one which told him that the caller wasn't a specific person, so he wasn't in a hurry to accept it. He finished the pie sauce with ease and had just set it aside when his phone began to ring again. This time, Fyre decided to answer it, afraid that it might be an emergency.

"Hello, who is it?" Fyre hesitantly asked, frowning after looking at the unknown number flashing on his screen, deciding to answer anyway. He was a very private person and he didn't have a lot of friends. In fact, he only had less than 15 people on his contacts, most of which were those who had insisted their contact info on him, so he was wondering who was calling him on his personal number.

"Have you already forgotten your only friend?" the person from the other end said with a gentle chuckle, making Fyre frown again. But that was only for a brief moment as he remembered that before he had met Tian Zi, Jonathan, and the friends he had now, there was one person he considered his only friend because of that one time when he'd helped him in a pinch. An old friend who he saw most of the time as a fool for loving such a devious woman. He'd gotten hurt and then decided to study abroad and never came back. That is, until now.

"Paul Hymlyn?" Fyre asked, sounding a little surprised because he did not expect an old friend would call him today. To be honest, he didn't even think the Alpha would still remember him or had even kept his number. It has been more than 5 years since the last time he had talked to him. He could still remember the day when the Alpha had called him to thank him for helping him with his problem at that time and apologized for not believing him sooner.

"Yes. I arrived earlier than planned. I didn't want to go back yet. Wanna hang out for an hour or two?" Paul asked, sounding a little unsure because it had been years since he talked to Fyre and it felt a little awkward somehow to talk to him now.