first day back

The next day found them lining up outside of Severus' class. The door opened and Hari could see that there was assigned seating. 

"What!? WHY?" Ron complained

Hari looked around for her name, finding it next to Pansy, she sat down, pretending to be annoyed.

#) Parkinson. (# she said coldly

"Potter." Pansy snapped back.

"Settle down," Severus said, glaring at them all from the front of the classroom.

The class did so, sitting down in their seats and waiting for instructions. Hari looked around the classroom. Draco still wasn't there, she looked down at her textbook, reading the ingredients list for the draught of peace.

"Remember, next June you will be sitting an important examination. I expect you to scrape an "Acceptable" in your OWL, or suffer my . . . displeasure."

He stared out at the class. "After this year, of course, many of you will cease studying with me," Snape went on. "I take only the very best into my NEWT Potions class, which means that some of us will certainly be saying goodbye."

He glared at Neville, Hari glared at him.

"But sadly, we have another year to go before that happy moment of farewell,"  said Snape, "so, whether or not you are intending to attempt NEWT, I advise all of you to concentrate your efforts upon maintaining the high pass level I have come to expect from my OWL students."

He kept talking but Hari started preparing her ingredients. She was working from one of Severus' old books, she had made this potion before and the book now contained bother his notes in black and hers in green, scribbled in the margins.

The draught of peace was very finicky, the order was precise, as were the number and direction of stirring.

She sliced her Valerian root thinly, waiting for the moonstone and syrup of hellebore that she had already added to turn from turquoise to purple.

She scrapped the valerian root off her cutting board into the cauldron and Pansy quickly brought the potion down to a simmer.

Hari stirred it 10 times clockwise and then 5 times counter-clockwise. 

There were twenty minutes left to the end of the lesson, Hari and Pansy were long done their potion and were secretly helping Neville and Daphne Greengrass who were sitting near them and having trouble.

Then at ten minutes left the end of the lesson, Severus called "A light silver vapour should now be rising from your potion," out across the classroom.

Hari glanced at the potion that she and Pansy had made, a light silver vapour was floating above their cauldron.

Hari ladled their potion into several bottles, and labelled them, carrying them up to Severus' desk. He glared at her and took them, adding them into the casket of bottles.

•  •  •

Their next class after lunch was Defence Against The Dark Arts. When they entered, Professor Umbridge was seated at a throne-like chair at the teacher's desk. Like the night before, she wore all pink, from her frilly shoes to the massive lopsided bow on top of her head.

The atmosphere was tense, everyone waiting to see what she would be like, nobody knew how strict a disciplinarian she was likely to be.

Once the whole class was stated, she spoke, "Well, good afternoon!"