Barrier

On their last evening, Mrs. Weasley conjured up a sumptuous dinner that included all of Hari's favourite things, ending with a mouthwatering treacle pudding. Fred and George rounded off the evening with a display of Filibuster fireworks; they filled the kitchen with red and blue stars that bounced from ceiling to wall for at least half an hour. 

It took a long while to get started next morning. They were up at dawn, but somehow they still seemed to have a great deal to do. Mrs. Weasley dashed about in a bad mood looking for spare socks and quills; people kept colliding on the stairs, half-dressed with bits of toast in their hands; and Mr. Weasley nearly broke his neck, tripping over a stray chicken as he crossed the yard carrying Ginny's trunk to the car. They were running very late, and tempers were running high.

They reached King's Cross at a quarter to eleven. Mr. Weasley dashed across the road to get trolleys for their trunks and they all hurried into the station. The tricky part was getting onto platform nine and three-quarters, which wasn't visible to the Muggle eye. What you had to do was walk through the solid barrier dividing platforms nine and ten. It didn't hurt, but it had to be done carefully so that none of the Muggles noticed you vanishing.

Everyone one went before Hari and Ron. Both of them bent low over the handles of their trolleys and walked purposefully toward the barrier, gathering speed. A few feet away from it, they broke into a run and.............

Both trolleys hit the barrier and bounced backward; Ron's trunk fell off, Hari was knocked off her feet, and Hedwig's cage bounced onto the shiny floor, and she rolled away; people all around them stared.

"Lost control of the trolleys, sorry." Ron said. Hari clutched her ribs as she got up. Ron ran to pick up Hedwig, who was causing such a scene.
'Why can't we get through?' Hari signed to Ron.
"I dunno -"
Ron looked wildly around. A dozen curious people were still watching them.
'We're going to miss the train,' Hari signed. 'I don't understand why the gateway's sealed '
There was a sickening feeling in the pit of her stomach. She looked at the clock. Ten seconds ... nine seconds ...
She wheeled her trolley forward cautiously until it was right against the barrier and pushed with all her might. The metal remained solid.
Three seconds . . . two seconds ... one second ...
"It's gone," said Ron, stunned. "The train's left."

They marched off through the crowd of curious Muggles, out of the station and back onto the side road where the old Ford Anglia was parked. 

Suddenly Ron said, "The car flies! We could follow the train!"

'Definitely not!' Hari signed

"But if we follow the train -"

'N - O! your parents can apperate us!'

The two of them slumped by the car, waiting for Mrs and Mr Weasley to come back.

"Oh thank goodness!" Mrs Weasley said when she found them, "I thought you might have done something stupid like flying the car to Hogwarts."

Not long later, Hari and Ron found themselves outside the gates of Hogwarts, having aperatted there alongside Mr Weasley.

They walked up to the castle, Mr Weasley levitating their trunks for them. They were met by Professor McGonagall."Your dorms are ready, so just do whatever you like, and.... just try to stay out of the way. You two are trouble prone."

Ron, who hadn't slept well the night before, decided to go take a nap, and Hari wandered around the castle for a while after changing into her uniform. Glancing at her reflection in the mirrors as she passed them, glad that the bruises were finally gone.