Imperio

It had been two weeks since Hari had cast the killing curse. Students had avoided her, the only people talking to her were her close friends. Dumbledore had even summoned her to his office. Insisting he was worried about her health. No, he was just angry cause his golden girl had done something dark... Oh no! It was the end of the world! Voldemort was gonna kill them all. The old coot had no control over her and he would realize that someday. She hoped it would be soon.

She wished he still had Quidditch to distract her, but sadly she had to deal with all the glances and worried looks.

On the other hand, their lessons were becoming more difficult and demanding than ever before, particularly Moody's Defense Against the Dark Arts.

To their surprise, Professor Moody had announced that he would be putting the Imperius Curse on each of them in turn, to demonstrate its power and to see whether they could resist its effects.

"But - but you said it's illegal, Professor," said Hermione uncertainly as Moody cleared away the desks with a sweep of his wand, leaving a large clear space in the middle of the room. "You said - to use it against another human was -"

"Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like," said Moody, his magical eye swiveling onto Hermione and fixing her with an eerie, unblinking stare. "If you'd rather learn the hard way - when someone's putting it on you so they can control you completely - fine by me. You're excused. Off you go."

He pointed one gnarled finger toward the door. Hermione went very pink and moved to stand behind Ron, who grinned, Hermione would rather eat pure bubotuber pus than miss such an important lesson.

Moody began to beckon students forward in turn and put the Imperius Curse upon them.

Hari watched as, one by one, her classmates did the most extraordinary things under its influence. Dean Thomas hopped three times around the room, singing the national anthem.

Lavender Brown imitated a squirrel. Neville performed a series of quite astonishing gymnastics he would certainly not have been capable of in his normal state. Not one of them seemed to be able to fight off the curse, and each of them recovered only when Moody had removed it.

"Potter," Moody growled, "you next."

Hari moved into the middle of the classroom.

Hari moved forward into the middle of the classroom. Moody raised his wand, pointed it at Hari, and said, 'Imperio!"

It was the most wonderful feeling. Hari felt a floating sensation as every thought and worry in her head was wiped gently away, leaving nothing but a vague, untraceable happiness. Then echoing in some distant chamber of her empty brain: Jump onto the desk. . . jump onto the desk. . .

Hari bent her knees obediently, preparing to spring.

Jump onto the desk....

Why, though? She didn't want to jump onto the desk, that was dumb.

Jump onto the desk....

No, I don't want to!

Jump! NOW!

Hari tried not to jump, but ended up half jumping, just on the spot. Hari felt the empty feeling in her head disappear. 

"Look at that, you lot. . . Potter fought! She fought it, and she damn near beat it! We'll try that again, Potter, and the rest of you, pay attention - watch her eyes, that's where you see it - very good, Potter, very good indeed! They'll have trouble controlling you!"

Closing her eyes, she imagined floating in water, bringing up her shield. She felt as the spell hit her, the vague untraceable happiness came over her. She was lifted from the water, floating lightly in the air like a cloud.

Jump onto the desk. . . jump onto the desk. . . It echoed through her brain once again....

Something was wrong, the happiness felt weird, why was she happy..

Jump onto the desk....

Why? she didn't want to, and she didn't like floating in the air. Splash! She landed in the embrace of the water again, the second she was under the water again her mind cleared.

Jump onto the desk....

You do it! She thought, putting her full will into it. 

The class burst into laughter as Professor Moody jumped onto his desk. He shook his head before growling, "POTTER!"

#)Yes Professor? (# She asked innocently. Moody thought for a minute, as though weighing all his options in a plan she didn't know.

"Now, that's more like it!" Moody said, changing his tune, "She fought it, and she won! She damn overpowered it! 3 0 Points to Gryffindor!"

• • •

That evening pinned in the entrance hall was a large notice: TRIWIZARD TOURNAMENT THE DELEGATIONS FROM BEAUXBATONS AND DURMSTRANG WILL BE ARRIVING AT 6 O'CLOCK ON FRIDAY THE 30TH OF OCTOBER. LESSONS WILL END HALF AN HOUR EARLY. STUDENTS WILL RETURN THEIR BAGS AND BOOKS TO THEIR DORMITORIES AND ASSEMBLE IN FRONT OF THE CASTLE TO GREET OUR GUESTS BEFORE THE WELCOMING FEAST.