Silver doe

A cloud shifted. There were suddenly dim shadows on the ground. Their party was bathed in moonlight.

Lupin collapsed, dragging Ron and Petigrew with him. Sirius froze. He flung out one arm to make Hari and Hermione stop. Lupin hadn't taken his potion. 

#Be gone# Hari hissed and the chains vanished, freeing Ron, sadly they freed Petigrew as well. As the werewolf reared, snapping its long jaws, Sirius disappeared from Hari's side. He had transformed. The enormous dog bounded forward. Sirius seized Lupin about the neck and pulled him backward, away from Ron and Pettigrew. They were locked, jaw to jaw, claws ripping at each other. Pettigrew grabbed Lupin's wand, hit Ron with a curse and disappeared, the rat scurrying off into the grass. As Hari watched, a small fox scurried out of the bush and grabbed the rat, Petigrew was now dinner, serves him right, but there was no hope for Sirius's freedom now.

Lupin took flight, galloping off into the forest after the fox, who seemed to have drawn his attention somehow. Better off a fox than them. 

Hari rushed to Sirius's side. He was bleeding; there were gashes across his muzzle and back, he was barely moving, he melted back into his human form. Then suddenly dementors were everywhere, swooping in from the sky, gliding along the lawn, they were trapped. It was cold, so cold. Hari tried to think of something Happy, but nothing was coming. 

#I await a guardian!# a silver mist came out of her wand. Dark fog starting to obscure her vision; more dementors were appearing out of the darkness on every side; they were encircling them....

#I await a guardian!# again only mist

#I await a guardian.# she was tired, so much pain so much sadness. Hari felt Hermione collapse next to her. She was alone... completely alone....

#I await a guardian -- I await a guardian! -- I await --# Hari collapsed, unable to lift her wand arm. The nearest dementor seemed to be considering her. Then it raised both its rotting hands -- and lowered its hood. Where there should have been eyes, there was only thin, gray scabbed skin, stretched blankly over empty sockets. But there was a mouth... a gaping, shapeless hole. The little mist that was left vanished as a paralyzing terror filled her. A pair of strong, clammy hands forced Hari's face upward.... She could feel its breath on her face as it went to kiss her...... please, just let the pain end. 

Suddenly she was dropped, there was light flooding the area around her. Hari used all her strength to raise her head. Two beautiful silver does were circling the four of them. But no, that couldn't be, and there was a figure in the distance, one that looked like -- no -- that couldn't be her mother... Hari didn't understand. She couldn't think anymore. Her head hit the floor, and everything went black.

• • •

Hari opened her eyes. She was lying in the hospital wing. She moved her head on the pillow. Beside her lay Hermione. Her eyes were open and she was staring at the ceiling.

Madam Pomfrey now came walking briskly up the dark ward to Hari's bed, she stuffed a piece of chocolate into Hari's mouth. 

"How's Ron?" Hermione asked

"He'll live", said Madam Pomfrey grimly. "As for you two you'll be staying here until I'm satisfied you're -- Hari, what do you think you're doing?"

Hari who had sat up and put her glassed on, picked up her wand.

I need to see the headmaster.

"Hari," said Madam Pomfrey soothingly, "it's all right. They've got Black. He's locked away upstairs. The dementors will be performing the kiss any moment now --"