Freak

//Slight TW//

The little creature on the basket had large, bat-like ears and bulging green eyes the size of tennis balls. Hari knew instantly that this was what had been watching her out of the garden hedge that morning.

The creature slipped off the basket and bowed so low that the end of its long, thin nose touched the carpet. It was wearing what looked like an old pillowcase, with rips for arm- and leg-holes.

Hari waved

"Hari Potter!" said the creature. Hari put a finger to her lips, and it whispered "So long has Dobby wanted to meet you, miss ... Such an honor it is . . . ."

Thank you wrote Hari, Who are you?

"Dobby, miss. Just Dobby. Dobby the house-elf," said the creature.

not to be rude or anything, but - this is not a great time

The elf hung his head.
Not that I'm not pleased to meet you, wrote Hari quickly, but, is there any particular reason you're here?

"Oh, yes, miss," said Dobby earnestly. "Dobby has come to tell you, miss ... it is difficult, miss ... Dobby can't say much. The wizard family Dobby serves, miss... Dobby is a house elf - bound to serve one house and one family forever forbides it. .....

Do they know you're here? wrote Hari curiously.

Dobby shuddered. "Oh, no, sir, no ... Dobby will have to punish himself most grievously for coming to see you, miss. Dobby will have to shut his ears in the oven door for this. If they ever knew, miss _"

But won't they notice if you shut your ears in the oven door?

"Dobby doubts it, miss. Dobby is always having to punish himself for something, miss. They lets Dobby get on with it, miss. Sometimes they reminds me to do extra punishments ......

But why don't you leave? Escape?

"A house-elf must be set free, miss. And the family will never set Dobby free ... Dobby will serve the family until he dies, miss . . . ."

Harry stared. Can't anyone help you? Can't I?

Almost at once, Hari wished she hadn't written anything. Dobby dissolved again into wails of gratitude.  

Please, Hari wrote frantically, please be quiet. If the Dursleys hear anything, if they know you're here

"Hari Potter asks if she can help Dobby ... Dobby has heard of your greatness, miss, but of your goodness, Dobby never knew . .....  

Hari, who was feeling distinctly hot in the face, wrote, Whatever you've heard about my greatness is a load of rubbish. 

"Hari Potter is humble and modest," said Dobby reverently, his orb- like eyes aglow. "Hari Potter speaks not of her triumph over He-Who- Must-Not-Be-Named. Dobby heard tell," he said hoarsely, "that Hari Potter met the Dark Lord for a second time just weeks ago ... that Hari Potter escaped Yet again. "  

Hari nodded and Dobby's eyes suddenly shone with tears."Ah, miss" he dabbed his face with a corner of the grubby pillowcase he was wearing. "Hari Potter is valiant and bold! She has braved so many dangers already! But Dobby has come to protect Hari Potter, to warn her, even if she does have to shut her ears in the oven door later... Hari Potter must not go back to Hogwarts."

What?! Hari wrote, amazed. But I've got to go back. I don't belong here.

"No, no, no," squeaked Dobby, shaking his head so hard his ears flapped. "Hari Potter must stay where she is safe. She is too great, too good, to lose. If Hari Potter goes back to Hogwarts, she will be in mortal danger."