24.

Cordelia sat impatiently after wishing Cedric well

Cordelia sat impatiently after wishing Cedric well. Assuring that she had enough confidence in him for placing a 50 galleon bet with the Slytherin's.

"Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision," said Dumbledore. "I estimate that it requires one more minute. Now, when the champions' names are called, I would ask them please to come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through into the next chamber" - he indicated the door behind the staff table - "where they will be receiving their first instructions."

He took out his wand and gave a great sweeping wave with it; at once, all the candles except those inside the carved pumpkins were extinguished, plunging them into a state of semidarkness. The Goblet of Fire now shone more brightly than anything in the whole Hall, the sparkling bright, bluey-whiteness of the flames almost painful on the eyes. Everyone watched, waiting. A few people kept checking their watches.

The flames inside the goblet turned suddenly red again. Sparks began to fly from it. Next moment, a tongue of flame shot into the air, a charred piece of parchment fluttered out of it - the whole room gasped.

Dumbledore caught the piece of parchment and held it at arm's length, so that he could read it by the light of the flames, which had turned back to blue-white.

"The champion for Durmstrang," he read, in a strong, clear voice, "will be Viktor Krum."

"No surprises there!" yelled Ron as a storm of applause and cheering swept the Hall.

Dora hoped they would announce the Hogwarts champion soon.

Next was Fleur Delacour from Beauxbatons. It was the same Veela girl Ron Weasley was ogling.

When Fleur Delacour too had vanished into the side chamber, silence fell again, but this time it was a silence so stiff with excitement you could almost taste it. The Hogwarts champion next...

And the Goblet of Fire turned red once more; sparks showered out of it; the tongue of flame shot high into the air, and from its tip Dumbledore pulled the third piece of parchment.

"The Hogwarts champion," he called, "is Cedric Diggory!"

"No!" Ron yelled but only Harry heard him, while Harry also saw Cordelia standing up and clapping with a big smile on her face.

Cedric smiled at Dora before vanishing inside the chamber as well.

In her short burst of happiness, Dora turned towards the nearest person to her, who lucky for Potter was himself, gushing about Cedric being chosen.

"He got chosen! We're definitely winning the trophy!" She grinned at Harry.

Harry flushed a little at the sudden attention but nodded, "I'm sure we will."

"Excellent!" Dumbledore called happily as at last the tumult died down. "Well, we now have our three champions. I am sure I can count upon all of you, including the remaining students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, to give your champions every ounce of support you can muster. By cheering your champion on, you will contribute in a very real -"