40.

Cordelia had been staying at the Manor for a couple of days now, she was enjoying her time to say the least

But some things kept bugging her when she saw her uncle Lucius, apparating away abruptly.

She could guess it was him who was calling upon his followers, for he would grab his left arm for a second before apparating.

The Dark Mark she saw on Karkaroff's arm was as prominent as the sun shines on a clear day, in her mind.

Lia sat with her godmother, who was styling the girls hair. Draco was up in his room, doing Merlin knows what.

"Cissa" Lia began softly, as she kept the book, which she had been reading, down.

"Hmm?" Came the Malfoy matriarch' soft voice.

"Had uncle Lucius not been a pureblood wizard, would you have not been with him?" She asked in a small voice, not wanting to upset Narcissa.

"That's a tricky question...." the woman trailed off, "Why would you be wondering about such things?" She smiled, securing the style with a band.

Turning around, Lia looked at Cissa with curious eyes.

"I just am. Well.... what would you have done?"

"Be with him" Narcissa replied with no hesitation.

"Really?" Lia was surprised.

Chuckling Narcissa shook her head lightly, "Of course! Is my affection for him not proof enough? I would rather be with my soulmate. I do admit, it would've been hard for me to accept it but not impossible" She detailed.

"Mhmm" Lia looked ahead of her, watching the white peacocks through the huge window.

"Does that mean that family for you comes before pureblood supremacy and.... Voldermot?" She whispered the last bit.

The name made Narcissa flinch, but only slightly.

Narcissa too stared off towards the gardens, "It wasn't at first. But it all changed when I lost my family to this. First Andromeda, then Bella.... Regulus" she stared at the young girl with a sad look.

Lia refused to look at her godmother, knowing she would break and spill the beans.

"I know about him. I know he's returned" Lia said in a distant voice.

"Why would you believe that?" Lucius' voice startled the two beautiful ladies.

"You don't believe what that Potter says, the boy's death was an accident. There have been so many before as well, the reason the tournament was shut down" he drawled, now sitting in front of the two.

Lia chose her words very wisely.

"I refuse to believe that Cedric died while Potter and the others made it out alive" Lia said steely.