38.

1  9  9  5  ,  J u l y

Cordelia Black lay unconscious on the white bed of the room that Remus had reserved for her stay at St.Mungo's until she was good to go.

The pale girl who had arrived with a bloody mouth and bruises that were turning black and blue, now lay with faded bruises, a clean mouth which had a pipe doing down it.

The pipe was to feed her healing potions.

Remus could not hold back when he heard that Cordelia had arrived with three almost crushed to powder ribs. Her stomach and abdomen took the worst of blows.

One of her ankle was fractured as well.

It was a miracle the girl was still alive, so said the healers at St.Mungo's.

Remus blamed himself for whatever happened, but it was all in vain.

He would constantly be murmuring apologies to Lia when he stayed.

Narcissa Malfoy, Cordelia's godmother, had rushed to St.Mungo's the morning she received the letter from her son.

With Lucius Malfoy on her heel.

Lucius Malfoy almost sneered at Remus but refrained from doing any such thing in a public and also because his wife said so.

Narcissa and Remus worked on a timetable, where she would keep her niece company for the first half of the day and Remus on the second half.

For only he was allowed to stay at night, him being Lia's guardian.

Narcissa was horrified and had cried in her husband's comforting arms after she had returned from St.Mungo's on their first day.

The sight was too much for Narcissa, who had grown fond and caring towards the girl so much so that she suggested that they apply for her custody after she wakes up.

It had been nearly a week since Cordelia was admitted.

She woke up coughing at night, startling Remus.

The medics and healers rushed to her aid immediately.

Half an hour later, Remus was allowed to go back in, the tube was now removed and a few potions sat on the table beside Lia's bed.

Remus rushed forward and stood beside the young girl, not knowing what to say.

His eyes teared up as he breathed a sigh of relief, upon seeing the familiar grey eyes.

"Lia" he cleared his throat when his voice cracked a little, "How are you?"

Lia looked at Remus, she was paler than usual.

"I feel alright, only my ribs hurt a bit when I try to inhale deeply" she shrugged, her voice scratchy and a little gruff.

A few seconds of silence passed away before she sat up straighter, remembering something.