6|| A Shocker

Unedited~

• • •

"O-One point five million dollars...?!"

Sophia stared incredulously at the papers before her, more specifically the amount printed on the sheet right beside the area where it said lump sum settlement payout in bold letters.

Her mind completely froze up for a good second, she sat frozen with eyes as wide as saucers.

This rapid turn of events happened so quickly, she struggled to keep up.

It had only been an hour since Elijah left, her mother had came to spent some more time with her only to have another man walk in. Sophia felt deja vu the moment he asked to speak with her alone but she knew it must've been important so she complied.

After all was said and done. Before she could even get a word out, the man had already brought out a makeshift table from an area in the room and was spreading out freshly printed files from a folder he carried in his hands, searching. After he found what he was looking for, he passed it to her along with a pen. Not even giving her a moment to think before instructing her to read and sign.

Read she did but now her brain was lagging.

Why?

Why would they...?

She knew that the Osoro corporation had bottomless wealth and was as reputable as they came but how the fuck...was this was commonplace. She had never been involved with the sector that handled employee payoffs and compensation so she didn't have not one clue.

She only expected at first that this process would be a long arduous one and was prepared for the barest of minimums since she did come out unscathed.

A small psychological injury compensation maybe.

She expected a long drawn out procedure, was even prepared to take a chip off her savings to get an attorney or someone similar to represent herself in the case that the company was a tad bit stingy.

She did not expect the entire thing to already be done and processed, only needing a signature for the transaction to be carried out.

Sofia had checked the papers more than once for the 'catch' or anything obscene in the fine print but there was nothing shady about it.

It was simply the Osoro Cooperation being the credible Osoro Cooperation.

Fast, efficient and without grievances.

"Is there a problem?"

The voice made her snap back to reality. Her eyes left the papers and looked up towards the man standing to the side. He looked at her plainly, an eyebrow raised.

Sophia slowly nodded. "...I don't understand, Why is the amount...?"

"Is it not up to your expectations?" He tilted his head a bit to the side. "Are you requesting more?"

"Ah...no," Sophia hurriedly shook her head. "I just -It's one and a half million dollars!"

"I am aware," he spoke in a dull tone.

"Why?"

He was silent for a second, "Lady, I'm just doing my job, do you...not want the compensation?"

Sophia was a lot of things but she wasn't dumb or too righteous to refuse money being offered to her...especially free money.

It was just too strange.