33|| Assumptions

Unedited~
• • •

There was a lingering uneasiness that shrouded Sophia's entire body and mind. One that would not go away regardless of the uncountable amounts of deep breaths she took to try and calm herself.

Her heart remained in her stomach, sinking further down from its designated place which as a result, that sinking feeling in her chest never left. Her heartbeats thudded loudly against her chest, ringing in her ears and her hands on her lap gripped the phone tightly, a meager effort to keep herself grounded.

This feeling was so familiar, so unfortunately similar to one she was already quite used to.

It had been a very long time since this feeling came back to put her on edge and even then, with her past history, experiencing this said feeling a thousand times did nothing to make to  her ready enough for the next time.

Mikah and Mai. Whenever they were involved, she found it hard to think properly, not to mention her mother's sudden missing status and the other man whose name she'd rather not mention or think about.

What the hell happened?

Sophia, even in her very anxious state, remained confused and worried. She couldn't imagine what it was this time. It had been countable years since her mother displayed this behavior, upping and leaving her kids behind.

Her home, as she remembered it, wasn't the best on a few dark days when Jermiah just entered the picture but, regardless of whatever happened between her mom and that...man, her mother had never let it get out of hand or close to affecting the children.

If it was one thing her mother improved on and stood strongly with was her iron will of keeping Mai and Mikah out of harms way, never having anything close to a repeat of what happened before their birth.

It made Sophia uncomfortable, thinking of the past but...she couldn't help it.

And not to mention the man.

Jermiah Jones.

Sophia wished he was standing before her just so she'd have the one chance to throttle him.

Mikah was his son. Even if it was only for Mikah...why on earth would you leave? Sophia had long since known that the man found babysitting to be a chore but even then, she couldn't imagine someone being that irresponsible.

Her mother was a separate case but still, Sophia could not help her side eyeing of that man's character. Sophia was seconds away from biting her nails, a habit that resurfaced only when she was extremely stressed.

A hand on her leg brought her out of her misery and her legs that had been repeatedly bouncing up and down froze. Sophia's head snapped to the man next to her.

Elijah who casually had one hand on the wheel had reached over the gearshifts and placed a comforting hand on her leg. He squeezed once, as if to remind her that he was also here. Still sitting beside her.

Sophia's chest fluttered almost immediately, her deep seated fear and anxiety had slightly delayed that response.

"They'll be okay, Sophia," He spoke in a soft calming tone that immediately had her sighing out a tensed inaudible breath. "I already had someone in the area to visit the address, your siblings are safe."

Sophia looked away after responding with a small stiff nod. Her eyes were drawn by the scenery outside that rushed by.

Usually, it would've been an almost 3 hour drive from the metropolitan area where she worked and into the neighbouring state where her parents resided but somehow, Elijah had made it in less.