59|| Quite the Scare

Unedited~
• • •

Seong stared ahead with a very indecipherable gaze. His eyebrows were pulled tight in concern and his lips were tightly pursed. It was as if he was confused, better yet, as if he didn't quite know what or who he was looking at at this moment. He was incensed and there existed only one very damning question in his head that he wanted to ask yet held it at bay.

Was it cowardice? Was it because of how awkward he thought this entire situation was? Maybe..

Kayla, the one he stared at unmovingly, looked ahead just the same, unphased. In fact if one were to go by her gaze along she looked very displeased. That much was clear by the slight twitch in her brows every few seconds.

Her buzz cut hair which he vaguely remembered being honey ginger sometime ago was now inky black and her heavily lined eyes made her look like a teenager who was done with the world. She wasn't wearing a skintight dress as she normally would, only an oversized sweater with equally oversized sweatpants and track shoes. If Seong didnt know any better he'd say she was the embodiment of emo-like depression.

He wouldn't dare say that out loud either. Kayla's glare already sliced through him more than once already

Between her lips was a thin paper straw she sucked at. Through the transparent cup he could see the chocolate milkshake with whipped frosting getting less and less.

Still, she was like a statue and it was that eerie yet very expectant stare of hers that had him petrified.

What on earth could he do...?

Seong carefully chose his words. "...Is this another phase?"

Kayla didn't respond however her eye did twitch a little. Seong knew by this that his words were indeed not the very best to start out with. Still, he continued, a little dispirited because she only spoke a few words in the near hour they've been here for.

His back was almost hurting from carrying the conversation.

"-Even if it's a phase," Seong quickly continued, "The style...it suits you..somewhat." On the inside he was nearly on his knees begging her to respond on the outside however, the awkward silence reigned.

"Your point?" Kayla finally opened her mouth to quip at him a minute later.

Seong could only give a really weak and weary smile. "Its nothing really-" he looked away.

Kayla chuckled. It was a dark sound that gave him goosebumps and after a minute, she finally cracked. "You little shit, you said this was urgent-!"

Seong winced, "I did...didnt I?"

"Life or death!" Kayla's voice went up an octave as she mimicked him and his urgency some time ago.

Seong could only laugh although it sounded a bit strained. "That too," he continued weakly.

Kayla chewed on her lip, shaking her head, "I've been here for what..." She checked her watch, "-An hour now waiting and I'm starting to believe you pulled that shit out of your ass! -Give me one good reason to not throw this cup at you right now-"

"It'd be a waste or perfectly good chocolate-"

"You little..." Her gaze then fell to the table at the other empty cups. The chocolate wasn't her first.

Seeing that she was really considering making such a scene, Seong hurriedly spoke up. "Oh come on, would you have come with me otherwise?" Seong threw his hands up in resignation.

Kayla scoffed mockingly.

"Ah there you go again-" he nearly pouted, "I get the feeling you're purposefully avoiding me these days-"