67|| Motherly Woes

Unedited~
• • •

"Miranda?"

The name was said in disbelief and incredulity, so much so that anyone would've thought the speaker had seen God themself.

Jiho shut his eyes briefly with a sigh but on the inside he was cursing like a sailor. There was no use regretting anything now, there was nothing that could be done. His quick plan to put off this meet, even for another few minutes totally expired into thin air.

It was laughable really...that he thought for one moment that maybe he could prevent this.

His eyes opened, in nothing short of panic. They shot to Sophia who gazed on the few people coming around the corner coolly. His eyes then went to Miranda who now appeared surprised, hearing her name called out of nowhere by none other than Dominic, their father, who took special notice of her first and after he called out her name, it was as if time stopped for a moment, before quickly resuming thereafter.

"Miranda...is that you?" He spoke tentatively, taking some steps forward. Jiho quickly moved himself out his father's ways in fact, he stepped back until he hit the wall. He'd happily let them do their thing while sitting on the outskirts.

As he nibbled on a fingernail in his worry -another lightbulb went on over his head. His eyes left Miranda. No one noticed Sophia yet...

Maybe he could-!

"What's going on here-?" A man spoke up.

"Why is she here?" Someone else chipped in.

Again...Jiho felt he spoke too soon.

His frigid aunt never let anything out of her sight, the other gazes in their group quick snapped to the others, more importantly, to Sophia who sat poised with her hands in her lap.

Jiho fought the urge to run a hand down his face. His poor heart was too weak for this. He was barely 23 years old yet he felt 45 at this exact moment.

And Miranda as if ready to fight under Sophia's banner, sent a scalding look to the aunt who spoke in that odd tone. "If you're referring to Sophia...why shouldn't she be here?"

"You..." Their aunt looked loss for words, "You're here too?"

"Am I not welcomed-?" Miranda sounded reproachful. She had a history with those people and that much was clear.

"You tell us-" the woman's reply was quick and no less fierce than Miranda, "You're not even apart of this fam-"

"Finish that sentence," Miranda frowned a little, something like a fuse burning in her eyes, "I dare you."

The woman opened her mouth to speak but was immediately silenced by the man standing close to her. It was none other than the family elder that was previously muted, "Calm yourself, Anna." One raised hand from him was enough to make her words disappear.

His head turned to Miranda a d his eyes looked solemn. He looked as if he had a couple of things to say himself but Miranda wouldn't have it. She put on a resigned and indifferent expression, as if she was above whatever pressing matters they wanted to throw her way.

"-Not to worry," she straightened her shoulders, "I only came to see my brother and it'll only be brief. I'll happily be out of this family's hair once more, no need to hold grievances." She smiled thinly. Her lack of respect for that man was clear as day, and it was as if she was challenging them to refute.

"That's...enough," Dominic took in a breath finally came back to the present. The shock that had him struck still only moments ago disappeared into thin air and only a decisive cool man remained.