39|| Burning Curiosity

Unedited~
• • •

It took a few minutes before the gazes of mostly everyone attending were focused in one place.

Some were scrutinizing, some were in adoration, some in curiosity, etcetera. There were many mixed emotions in the eyes that were drawn to the stage. A good amount of these people settled into seats which gave many others standing far back a chance to see. Some even slowly started making their way closer to the podium and had to stop moments later to keep irritated eyes off them.

Elijah, who faced the brunt of these stares, stood unbothered. It was as if this were minor to him and for reference, he'd once chaired a conference in a building that accommodated thousands, an event like this paled in comparison.

Elijah was unphased and most couldn't tell or recall when he'd appeared on the wide raised podium. Not even Sophia who kept alternating her gazes between that area and her own, had seen where he walked out from.

Sophia stared around, observing the scene around her then back at the man who effortlessly commanded this much respect without even lifting a finger yet.

It was...hot.

And Sophia had to admit to that. She never saw him anywhere like this and it was fascinating to witness. She swallowed thickly. Looking down at her habd which was being held under the table. Kayla gave her a supporting squeeze then winked and Seong, he kept his eyes on his drink as if he didn't even want to have any chance of making eye contact with Elijah.

Elijah's eyes seemed to be searching the crowd. His features were hardened and it looked as if he hadn't smiled in years. It was funny but...right now he looked like that man from the elevator she had ignored. Cold and mad at the world for reasons unknown.

Sophia thought back, to the Elijah she was used to...It was like they were two different people. Somehow...

Not long after, Elijah paused and seemed to be satisfied with something then he began speaking. He did small welcomes which then turned into a speech to officially open the event.

Sophia watched him in silence, and the longer she did...the more she liked what she saw. If Elijah looked at her like that, and used that tone on her...she didn't know what she would do. Maybe she'd melt into a puddle.

Or something...

Sophia fount it hard to put a name to it but a very airy feeling was swimming around inside her chest. As if she could float up from the chair into the ceiling at any given second. Kayla, who was also looking towards Mr Osoro, frowned and looked down. Sophia's grip on her hand was a bit...tight. Kayla immediately exchanged a quick glance with the man next to her.

'Is she nervous?' He mouthed, gesturing to Sophia with his head.

Kayla only shrugged.

Sophia's attention was riveted and it was only broken from someone waving a hand in front of her face. She nearly jumped and her gaze snapped to the culprit responsible immediately. The woman was pursing her lips to hide a smile.

"Seong dared me," she spoke in hush tones.

"Hey! I did not-!" Seong hissed back in that same tone.

Kayla only giggled, "But it was funny wasn't it, those eyes were the eyes of a love sick puppy. Quick Seong, check if she's drooling."

"I am not-"

Seong coughed but he did look, much to Sophia's mortification. "You two should get married already," he laughed under his breath, "I already know what I'm wearing to the wedding."