43|| Oversight

Unedited~
• • •

Sophia realized what Elijah intended to do before he did it and could only laugh to herself. He was so selfish it was cute. She watched as he led his father away and giggled. She blinked and she couldn't see him anymore, maybe it was because of the sudden dim atmospheric lighting. Sophia took that as the reason and turned her eyes elsewhere, shifting her body weight from one sore leg to the other.

With Elijah gone, most of the attention followed him but some still remained. Mostly curious gazes from people taking amongst themselves and turning to peek at her. Their hesitation was nearly tangible, as if they wanted to approach her but stood back because of some unknown and explicit reason.

Sophia had no problem with this. This was to be expected. If she didn't prepare for this much, why on earth would she even agree to come here today.

As if Elijah's lingering presence was a deterrent. No one approached her for a few minutes, all except one that is.

Sophia was pensively looking around when she spotted the grown man creeping over, keeping a watchful eye on their surroundings. He seemed hesitant but in the end, when he got close enough, he started taking strong confident steps until he stopped next to her.

He grinned, "I hope you don't mind me intruding," he spoke and with only a wave of his hand. A waiter walking by was fanned over.

Joshua looked sheepish and it made Sophia laugh. No words were needed to be said, the small moment of understanding between them was satisfying all by itself.

After directing the waiter towards her, he immediately held up his hands, his steps looked very measured now that hs stood before Sophia. She immediately guessed that the liquor caught up to him.

Joshua did a small yet pretty over enthusiastic bow that didn't fit him at all, "Sorry...Um.. So...not onesided?" He tentatively asked, referring to what he assumed during their interaction at the Event before this one.

Sophia laughed, even when overly drunk his whole corny persona didn't disappear. Now it seemed even more exaggerated. "Not onesided," she confirmed with a small smile.

"Oh...congrats?" He grinned then paused, he took a short look around, still keeping a mindful eye out.

Sophia accepted the drink from the waiters tray with sparkling eyes. Finally more wine! Like Joshua, she too had to take a peek around before drinking.

This one was even better than the last, "Why congrats?" She coughed, lifting her hand to her slightly burning throat.

"Oh yea, it seems my piss poor assumptions were well of the mark, which is good!" He started slow and caught himself quickly at the end.

He then winced, lifting a hand to his temple, "Ah...not good." His eyes snapped back towards Sophia afterwards, "I...wish to say more but unfortunately...I have a little situation, it's better I go," he didn't even wait for Sophia's response, with a face of barely suppressed pain and abject sickness he turned and sauntered off with a slight sway in his steps.

Sophia watched him go but didn't get to take a complete breath of air before another person quickly took his place. Sophia was surprised. She only looked away for a minute, when did these people get here? She recognized them immediately too. These were the ones (out of many others) watching her from before.

Sophia smiled stiffly at the two people who had half their faces hidden and they quickly introduced themselves.

Minutes later, it became harder for Sophia to keep her smile from faltering. Her eyes went to her company that had increased from two to five. She was, in a sense, besieged from all angles, by very enthusiastic women and a man.