𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐒 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐍

Song: You belong with me (Taylor Swift)

Song:
You belong with me (Taylor Swift)

When Remus Lupin looked at himself in the mirror all he could see was his scars. Smaller and larger, fresher and older, deeper and more superficial; with a simple glance he could focus on each and every single one of them. When he was young he didn't care all that much. He looked in the mirror and he focused on his eyes, on his nose, on his lips. That was until a muggle girl in his elementary school asked why he had lines on his face. And as he grew older and the scars increased, so did the comments.

"Where did he get that from?"

"He would be much more attractive without them..."

"Maybe you should try to cover them up."

His parents could clearly see that this was affecting him. And how couldn't it? He was just a boy; a sweet, kind boy that didn't deserve any of this. He didn't deserve to turn into a beast every month, to hate himself for what he was and to look at himself in the mirror and immediately notice everything that was wrong with him. He couldn't cover his face, but he could cover his arms, his legs, his torso. And that was exactly what he did. It could be boiling outside and Remus would still wear a long sleeved shirt and a pair of long pants. He knew he looked ridiculous dressed like that in the middle of August, but it was better than receiving judgemental looks on the streets. It took him years to feel somewhat comfortable with changing in front of his friends and even though he knew that they would never believe something like that about him, he couldn't help but think that maybe they thought he was disgusting.

And so, the young werewolf trailed his finger over the new scar etched on his cheek, tears silently running down his cheeks. After all, it would be stupid to wake his parents up for something as insignificant as this.

~ ~ ~

It was two o'clock in the evening and Remus again couldn't sleep. Over the past two hours he had done everything he could think of to fall asleep. From drinking warm milk and reading a book in an attempt to tire his eyes to trying out one of the muggle tricks Lily had told him and staying still with his eyes closed for as long as possible; he was always annoyed by something. The blanket was too short, he was too hot, he got too cold. The pillow was too stiff, the pillow was way too soft. He had a headache, he hadn't eaten anything for dinner....

Remus Lupin couldn't sleep and he couldn't be more furious about it.

Fed up, he got up and switched on the lights, closing the door so as not to wake Hope and Lyall up. Remus opened the window and pushed aside the curtains, looking at the room opposite from his. However, he didn't expect to see Callisto awake with her hair tied up in a bun as she raised small vials up in the lamp of the room. He gathered all the courage he had and called her name.

Callisto's head snapped to his direction, her heart speeding up as the vial fell from her hands and landed on the floor, smashing in small pieces. Remus immediately regretted talking to her. He had startled her and now whatever she was preparing was spilled on the floor. He could clearly see her eyebrows knitting together and her lips forming a tight line as she walked over to the window.