53

They were up and moving, as they prepared for fixing the outside wall. Clockwork sighed as she pulled the plank of wood to her side of the wall, she knew this was a good idea, but the energy would be drained fast and they would have to eat more to keep up. Though she was happy it was warm out this time, she walked back to the pile and dragged another to her side of the wall. She took in a few deep breaths in before looking back to see the pile gone. Guess toby got it, she smiled as she picked up one of the board and placed it on the wall. She nailed it to the wall, smiling at her work she repeated it to the next board. The hammers hitting the boards echoed through the woods. After an hour of the cold labour clockwork stopped, she was half done yet not close enough to her comfort. She felt like she was doing bad at her job, she felt like she could have done better. She wondered how toby was doing, he probably had his wall finished. Why couldn't she be like him, he got the job done while she was slow at hers. She shook her head and went back to work, she needed to show she had the right to stay here. That she deserved to live here, that she wasn't a waste of space. She looked at the pile of wood, there was enough to fix another wall. She grabbed another plank and nailed it into the wall, she repeated this till she finished the wall. She looked up to see it was almost the end of the day, she sighed and dragged the planks of woods to the next wall. She smiled as the wood was piled close to the wall, she started to nail the wood to the wall. She must prove herself, yet she didn't know how much she had done.

" Are you ok clockwork," Toby asked as he stood at the edge of the wall.

She snapped back to reality, she looked at him and smiled slightly.

" I'm fine, just thinking," she said as she put the hammer down.

She looked back at the wall and saw she was almost done with it, she wanted to finish it.

" it's time to eat, plus it's not safe to put here in the dark," Toby said as he grabbed her arm and led her to the door.

He was worried about her, she had overworked herself. Why did she always do it, it was like she had something to prove like it was life or death.

"Are you really ok, you're acting like it's the end of the world," Toby asked as he looked at clockwork.

" yeah just feel like I'm not doing enough," she said as she walked through the door.

" what do you mean not enough, you did more than me. I got one wall done you got one and a half done, man I feel like I'm being lazy," Toby said with a smile.

She smiled at him, he was kind to her that is why she liked him. She stopped in her tracks, what did she just think. She liked him, she smiled as she looked at him while he went through the bag. She sighed, he probably didn't like her that way. No one has ever loved her, they all turned on her. Except for him, he was different on of a kind. She sat down and as Toby pulled out a few snacks, he walked to her and sat next to her. She smiled as she looked at him.

" here, you need to eat we have a big day ahead of us," he said as he handed her the snacks.

" Thanks," she said as she opened it and began to eat.

Toby smiled as he closed his eyes, he was tired from the hard work. Yet he wanted to stay awake with her, but his body craved sleep. Clockwork smiled as she looked at Toby who was passed out, he looked at peace. She finished up her food before going asleep herself, he was right they had a big day ahead of them.