78

"Toby," a voice called to him as he sat on his bed, he didn't want to move.

Something told him it wasn't right, but he couldn't tell what. He was home with his mom, dad, and sister, though it was still off. He sighed knowing it probably was important, maybe his sister got back from work? Or did mom make super? His father was probably drunk on the couch sleeping his life away, or with his second family again. Well guess the other wife due to them losing custody, he couldn't remember his name but his face he could. His Father had brought him there when it was split custody with his mom when he was little. Though what bothered him was that he was here, why? He couldn't remember why but he knew what was told to him was wrong, mother didn't love that man and sister hated him with every ounce of her soul.

"Toby!" the voice screamed, it sounded full of fear and with slight worry.

"Mom?" he called out to the voice in his house. "Dad?" he called again. "Lyra?" he called like the two before and like always no answer, never when he asked for them.

Only when they needed him, why? That was all he asked himself, was there something he did wrong for their silence?

"Toby!" the voice was rough as if it had smoked all its life.

He knew the voice, yet he didn't. Why was his father home when his mother and sister hated him, he would only come back to get him away from them if his mother was too sick and his sister was dead. He froze as the thought had crossed his mind, this wasn't real. He grabbed his head as the crash came to reality again, watching his sister's body crumble due to the impact. Her screams of pain as the bones poked out of her skin, blood covering her body. It had stayed like that till someone had driven by and called for help, though the ambulance didn't make it in time for his beloved sister. Her screams had died down minutes before, and the gurgling stopped seconds before. She was gone, forced to listen to her die.

"Stop it your hurting her," a voice screamed, so young and familiar.

His eye snapped open as he crouched in the little but, his hands wrapped around clockwork's throat as she kicked and clawed at him. His hand snapped away from her, close to his chest as he fell back. Gasps were heard as Sally cried, gripping the only thing she had to a mother.

"I'm sorry," Toby muttered over and over, the words felt meaningless to him but he meant it.

"Toby, your back," Clockwork's crocked voice rang out.

"I'm sorry," he cried out.

"I know," she whispered. "It's not your fault," she muttered as she rubbed her throat.

"I should go," Toby said as he stood up.

"No you can't leave, you promised me you'd stay," Sally cried as she ran to him pulling on his arm as tears fell from her eyes. "Don't leave me like mommy and daddy did, please," she whispered as she closed her eyes, she'd prey but she vowed no God good for what they had done to her.

"Sally I'm too dangerous," Toby said as he looked away.

"Please I'll be a good girl, just don't leave me," sally cried.

Toby winced at her words, so familiar yet foreign to him. He knew had said something like this before, though he couldn't place it. Yet it still broke him to hear her say it.

"Ok, I'll stay," he said as he sat down, sally immediately pulled him in a hug.

"Promise," she whispered.

"I promise," Toby muttered as he glanced at clockwork who was up on her feet smiling at him.

"I'm glad you stayed," she spoke softly, he only nodded.

What else could he say that hadn't already been said?