55

The birds chirp as Toby and clockwork worked on the outer wall, they hadn't spoken since the night before. They felt off, a feeling they didn't know stopped them from talking. They felt like they would make a mistake if they spoke like they would ruin this feeling. Clockwork sighed as she looked at her hand, she smiled as she imagined Toby holding her hand. Why did she desirer this, did she love him? Was it a silly little crush that wouldn't be fulfilled, she should just let go of this feeling, it would only hurt her in the end. She sighed as she finished nailing the board to the wall, she looked at her progress and smiled. She had finished the wall, she grabbed the leftover boards and dragged them to the front of the house. They needed to fix the inside roof, they still had a few more months of winter. She dropped the wood at the door, she looked at Toby who was still working on the wall. He looked at her and smiled.

" Hey clocky," he said quietly.

He seemed shy for some reason, she Chucked it up to him being tired. Yet she couldn't help to blush.

" Hey Toby," she said with a smile.

He smiled before going back to work, she nodded and went back for the other blanks of wood. Toby sighed as she left his sight, God high heart was pounding, it felt like it would give out at any given time. He was still confused on why he felt this, what was this feeling, why was he having it. Was it a disease, was this a normal feeling. He sighed as he looked up at the sky, it was a beautiful day especially for a December. He looked down and went back to work, he needed to stay focused. He couldn't let this feeling get the best of him, he looked to his side when he heard clockwork dropping the wood.

" hey do you think we should visit Brian and Tim," Toby said with a small smile.

" sure, will just lock up the house when we leave," she said with a smile.

He nodded and went back to work, he could ask Brian what this was. He may have been gay but he was good at telling people what was the problem or what something was, he saw him as an older brother.

" you alright Toby," clockwork asked as she put a hand on his shoulder.

He looked at her and smiled.

" Yeah just thinking, don't worry about me I'm fine," he said as she nodded

Toby grabbed a board and nailed it to the wall, he smiled as he finished the wall. Now he just needed to fix the outside door and put a lock on it, he walked inside and grabbed the parks to make a lock. He walked outside and nailed them in pace, he smiled as it looked good. He pulled the key out of the lock and put the lock on the door, locking it. He quickly unlocked it, he smiled as he got the job done. He put the key in his pocket, he sighed as he walked to the back to help clockwork with the boards. They would go visit them tomorrow, but for today they would check the surroundings to see what it was like and if anything needed to be improved.

" need help," he asked with a smile.

She nodded as she grabbed a few planks of wood, he smiled and grabbed a few as well. They dragged it to the front as their hearts pounded in their chest, the feeling was back. Clockwork glanced at him, her face went red as she saw his brown eyes. They were beautiful, she never saw them up close before. He was always wearing those goggles, they held pain that he himself couldn't remember. She hated seeing him in pain, even if he didn't know he was. It played in his mind like a plague, it couldn't be seen by the host by others could see it from far if looked close enough. She feared that it would consume him one day, that he would lose himself in his pain. He had told her about his past, she knew he had lost himself but the stories he told her. Consumed by hate and pain, till all his memories hidden behind those Brown eyes. She put the wood down and went to grab more, Toby following her hoping she looked at him again. He knew she was looking at him, and it made his heart rush. He wished he could look into her eye, to feel what she felt, to see what she saw of this putrid world. Yet he couldn't, the fear of her getting weirded out made his heart dropped. He was afraid of rejection, due to school. How everyone hated him due to an illness he couldn't control, preschool was a horrible place for kids like him. The adult treated him worse as they knew better, he was locked in a room when he had his tick attacks. Which only made things worse, after his mother found out about that she homeschooled. He yet when he looked at her from afar that fear disappeared, he wondered if this was love. Does love feel like this, like the world will end if the one you loved left? Only seeing colour instead of black and white when they were around, he hoped it was, it was an amazing feeling. It was a high he craved, he snapped back to reality when clockwork touched him.

" We should go inside it's getting dark and cold," she said with a smile.

He nodded as he looked her in her eye, his heart pounded as he felt something different. He felt her feelings, they felt warm and fuzzy. Did she like him, no, who would like him. he was a freak, she was too good for him. He must have been reading his feelings. They both looked away from, their faces red. Who were they kidding they thought, they didn't like them it was a silly crush. They went inside and locking the door behind them, they ate and sat down. Their hearts hurt, why was love so painful. After they ate they turned off the flashlight and went to sleep, they leaned on each other and dreamed on life would be if they were together. They had fallen hard for each other.