16

hours had passed and clockwork finally got up, though she was groggy and weak. Brian was washing the dishes, while Toby was out getting firewood. Clockwork stumbled over to Brian, he watched her from the corner of his eye. He did not trust her, she was an enemy till proven otherwise. He didn't care if she was a guest, she was still a stranger.

"Where's Toby," she asked with a yawn.

"He's getting firewood, we are bringing in a bunch in as the weather is going to be shitty any day now," he said as he put the dish away. "Super is on the table go and eat as will be leaving soon," he said as he put another dish away.

She nodded and walked to the table, sitting at the table she looked at the food. She smiled as she started to eat, the food made her mouth water she couldn't deny that Brian could cook. The door burst open and Toby walked in, with an arm full of wood.

"I'm back," he said with a smile as he kicked the door shut.

Hoodie chuckled and looked at him, he enjoy that Toby was his silly little self when he was stable in the head.

"Put the wood in the corner, I'll use it later," Brian said as he went back to the dishes.

Toby nodded and walked to the corner, dropping the wood on the ground in the small basket. He turned to the two people in the kitchen, a smile on his face.

"Oh you're awake," he said with a chuckle.

she nodded and continued to eat, Toby walked to her and sat at the table as he looked at his hands.

"So what's the plan," Toby asked as he looked up to her.

Brian turned his head to him and smiled, he placed the dish away before answering.

"We're going to go to tonight, but we are going to take the streets there. we have to walk all the way there as Tim took the truck this morning because he was made and knew we needed it," Brian said as he dried his hands off in his sweater.

Toby nodded as clockwork chewed on her scrambled eggs, Brian went back to washing the dishes. Leaving the two young adults alone, he needed to wash the dishes.

"Can you two go and get me some sticks, I need something small and flammable. so I don't have to when it's bedtime" Brian said as he looked at the two people at the table.

"we're eating sticks" Toby blurted out as he didn't fully listen to Brian.

Brian laughed as he finished the dishes, he picked up the tub of warm water. He walked to the door while clockwork and Toby watched, he walked out the door and poured the water next to the building. He walked back into the building and back to the kitchen, where he placed the bucket back where it was before.

"No Toby, it's to start the fire," he said with a smile.

Toby nodded and stood up, as clockwork finished her breakfast. she stood up and followed him, they walked out of the hut and into the cold air. Clockwork coughed as the air touched her lungs, taking her breath away. They walked to the edge of the tree line and began to rip sticks off of dead trees. The moonlight was enough source for them to see, yet they felt off. Toby shook his head before wiping his nose, not noticing his bloody nose. They did this for an hour, till clockwork started to get cold and a strong headache. They walked to each other before turning to the but, they carried an arm fulls of sticks and twigs. They walked in and dropped the sticks in the corner where the logs of wood laid, they smiled at themself. Happy they got the job done right, Brian smiled as he closed the door. They walked to the table, sitting down before looking at each other. They started to talk about the plan, on which road to take, and how safe it was. If they should bring food and water, and how much. They kept the conversation going for a while, Brian got up and fueled the stove by putting sticks and wood on the fire, he sat back down and let out a sigh. His back was hurting yet he kept it quiet so the two adults wouldn't worry about him, he didn't want their pity or worries. Clockwork began to talk about a path in a city that led them to the shed, though it was on the shady side of town. Brian wasn't surprised as the city was going to hell with its new Mayor, honestly, he was shocked it didn't go downhill faster. Clockwork looked at them and smiled, Toby smiled back as Brian stood up. The conversation had ended, Brian didn't want to bother the new topic. He sighed and lied down for a bit so his back wouldn't hurt, he hated that his back was his downfall. He wished his back was back to its old self, but it wasn't. It had broke when he fell, it was never the same again. He was on pills to stop the pain, he sighed as he closed his eyes as he tried to stop the spinning room.

"Are you alight Brian," Toby asked worried as he stood up and walked to the male.

"Yeah, just my back," Brian said softly.

Toby nodded as he walked to the bag next to Brians's bed and pulled out a bottle of pills, he put a pill in his hand. He put the bottle away, before sitting next to Brian.

"Here," Toby said as he held out his hand.

Brian sat up and grabbed the pill, he took it before taking a swig of water. Brian sighed as he flopped back down, Toby stood up and walked back to the table. Clockwork went to ask about it but was quickly silenced by Toby shaking his head, Clockwork sighed and looked at her hands.