chapter 21: Butchering the Black Wolf (1)

Father and sons, three labors cooperated with each other. The two buns picked wild grapes back and forth, while Ling Jingxuan bent over to look for medicinal herbs among the weeds. Since no one had ever set foot on this place, though a bit hard, it was really fruitful. He had found many useful herbs, and even some edible mushrooms, wanting to make a pot of mushroom soup for dinner.

“Daddy, those things are poisonous. Why did you dig them up?”

After picking a pile of herbs and ready to call it a day, Ling Jingxuan pushed aside the grass and saw another cluster of mushrooms. Without even thinking, he squatted down to continue picking, suddenly the big bun’s voice filled with disgust suddenly sounded. As Ling Jingxuan turned around, he saw the two buns, hand in hand, standing there, these two days very clean little faces were dirt all over again.

“Hehe… not all mushrooms are poisonous, these can be eaten. You finished picking?”

They were still too small, sometimes they still would not understand even if he explained it to them, so Ling Jingxuan calmly switched the topic. They would only know mushrooms were something good after they ate them.

“Really? Daddy, let me help you.”

On hearing they were edible, the small bun decisively rushed forward, while Ling Jingxuan hurriedly embraced him, powerlessly saying, “Some are not edible, you can not tell, so you’d better stay out of this.”

A penny-pinching money slave, and a foodie, the characteristics of those two were really… extinctive?

“But I want to help daddy.”

Cocking his head, wearing the innocent face, big round eyes showing great concern of his daddy.

“Haha… no, daddy is not tired, you go to have a rest nearby, when I finish picking this cluster, we will go home.”

Heart feeling warm, Ling Jingxuan patted his butt, and signaled big bun with his mouth.

“Xiaowu, be good. Let’s go there and wait for daddy.”

Seeing him still unwilling to give up, the big bun came over and held his hand.

Ling Jingxuan helplessly shook his head, turned back and buried himself among those mushrooms again. He was not joking with the small bun. This cluster of mushrooms here was really a lot, some with dim color, some with bright color. Those that were edible and poisonous were all mixed together, but he picked all of them. Historically, cure and poison were together, poisonous mushrooms, although not edible, one can make poison with them. The three of them lived at the foot of the mountain alone, who were all as thin as a bamboo pole. How could they not have some defending methods?

“This is…”

A bunch of mushrooms were classified soon. As he was about to get up, he accidentally saw a red light among the grass cluster not far away with his split vision. Driven by his curiosity, Ling Jingxuan carefully brushed open the grass, a fist-sized, a blood-red umbrella-shape mushroom revealed. Ling Jingxuan had a thrill in the heart, without thinking, he cut a piece of his clothes with the sickle and wrapped it before digging it out.

Although he did not know the name of the mushroom, its reddish color and no grass within a few centimeters around made it a perfect choice for producing poison.

“Little buns, time to go home.”

After stuffing the red mushroom wrapped alone in the chest, Ling Jingxuan cut a few more pieces of his clothes to wrap those medicinal herbs, edible and inedible mushrooms, then went to the two little buns who were sitting on the ground not far away. The bamboo baskets they brought were totally full. Considering the big bun’s money slave characteristics, Ling Jingxuan couldn’t help but shake his head. He was thinking that if he can’t turn those wild grapes into money, big bun might even place righteousness before family loyalty. So nerve-racking! He should get the opportunity to help him correct it

“Daddy, didn’t you say to help second uncle pick some wild fruit?”

Though greedy for money, he did not forget the business.

“Hehe… isn’t that it? You wait for me a second.”

Pointing to the wild pear tree about ten meters away, Ling Jingxuan put down the packages and went over with his sickle. As early as they arrived here, he had noticed the existence of this wild pear tree. Ling Jinghan illness was called tuberculosis in modern world, which was not very serious, at least no symptoms like coughing blood yet. The reason he was unable to get out of bed was mainly because he was too small when he caught the disease, and did not get effective treatment. Actually the treatment for early tuberculosis was simple, stewed snow pear with rock candy, three times a day, and it’d be cured, and some anti-inflammatory drug, it could be cured in half a month at most.

Snow pear certainly wouldn’t exist in this era, but the wild pears would also do, plus the air here was good, the wild fruit bred here tastes pure, the efficacy should be better than snow pears, as for rock sugar, he could go to the town to buy some. If there was not any, he can only decoct some with bare hands, although it was more troublesome.