chapter 39: Xinyuan Restaurant

As the red sun rose higher and higher, the market had reached its climax period of time. The vendors’ hawking could be heard everywhere in the street. Ling Jingxuan was carrying pots in one hand, while holding the two buns in the other, the father and two sons were going through the crowd. When they saw peculiar items, they would elbow over to take a look, but didn’t buy any. Compared with the ancient town street he had seen in the television in previous life, the streets here were less luxuriant, but more of a primitive and unsophisticated feeling, but there was not much difference in its construction.

“Daddy, where are we going?”

They walked for quite a while, sweat had already soaked their shabby clothes. Big bun who was all the way excited suddenly raised his head, swept a glance at a jar in one of Ling Jingxuan hand meaningfully, apparently he was worried that no one would buy it.

“Haha… Take it easy. We are just arrived, OK?”

Noticing big bun’s doubt, Ling Jingxuan smiled, pouted his lips at the magnificent building not far away. Ling Wen looked over following the direction he was looking at, more confused, “Is that a restaurant?”

Many well-dressed men and women went in and out of the three-story building, through the crowd one could vaguely see the people inside were eating food. He had ever heard from his grandpa that the kind of place to provide others food to eat was called restaurant.

“Hmm.”

Having no intention to explain things, Ling Jingxuan directly dragged them into the fancy restaurant. A blade of grass on the ground was trash, but if bound together with cabbage, it could be sold at the price of cabbage, and if bound on hairy crab, it could be sold at the price of hairy crabs. The key was to see how you marketed it. He made the jam and if it was sold in the street, at best, just make dozens of copper coins. It wouldn’t sell much more in grocery stores. Without his money-making plan, maybe he would just sell it in the street, but now…

Xinyuan Restaurant, Datong town’s biggest restaurant, no one of! The magnificent three-storey architecture was located in the town’s most prominent location. Those who entered here were either local tyrants or passing merchants. It was said that the magistrate would dine here every time he came to Datong town. Among all restaurants, Xinyuan came out top without any doubt.

Standing right in front of the restaurant, Ling Jingxuan looked up at the plaque hanging in the doorway, lips slightly curved, with his long and narrow phoenix eyes written with naked calculation. Xinyuan it is!

“Daddy, are we really going in?”

Dragging Ling Jingxuan who was going in, Ling Wen and Ling Wu’s thin face showed timidness, because of their shabby clothes, even the passers-by already pointed at them. Two children were still small, smart and precocious, their small face was already turning black red due to the embarrassment.

Lowering his head to take a look at them, then sweeping around those gossiping passers-by with an cold eye, Ling Jingxuan squatted down and touched their faces dotingly, “We are all humans. We are just a little poor, but we did not do anything guilty. What is there to be afraid of?”

“But…”

Ling Wen looked around, but wanted to say something but stopped, while Ling Wu directly hid behind him shyly. Ling Jingxuan helplessly shook his head, “How about you wait for me outside while I go in to sell the jam?”

He knew they were sensitive and proud, so he didn’t want to force them. It was natural for them to recoil and cringe when they were standing in a place like this for the first time. After all, they had never seen the outside world.

“No, no, we’ll go where daddy goes.”

Deeply looking at him after quite a while, Ling Wen summoned some courage and stammered. Ling Wu also silently walked out from behind him. Ling Jingxuan threw a look of encouragement to them, again rubbing their heads before entering the restaurant.

Now was not the peak time, so it was not so crowded, but still most of the tables sat well-dressed childes or charming young ladies from those rich families, so the father and two sons who were wearing coarse linen undoubtedly became rare species here. The moment they entered the restaurant, they instantly attracted all the attention. If it had been some common people, they would have already slumped onto the ground. But Ling Jingxuan seemed to not feel the hot gaze at all, who pulled the two buns directly to the counter.

The small bun, who had been a little shy before, now held out his chest. Since daddy was not afraid, what were they afraid of?

“Sir…”

The waiter who came to his sense quickly ran over to stop them, while Ling Jingxuan directly pushed him aside, “Don’t serve me. I’m looking for your boss to talk about some business.”

“Well…”

Who’s going to serve him?

“What do you want from me, sir?”

The shopkeeper looked in his 30s or 40s. He raised his hand and waved away the waiter, looking at them strangely, with naked doubts and curiosity under his eyes, but without any contempt.

“This is Ling Jingxuan, a scholar. May I know your surname please?”

Throwing the jars to Ling Wen, Ling Jingxuan cupped his hands to the shopkeeper, thin and beautiful face hanging with a light smile, not deliberately insinuating, also not looking rude. The shopkeeper smiled and greeted back, “My surname is Zhang. I wonder what I can do for you.”

As the shopkeeper of Xinyuan Restaurant, Shopkeeper Zhang had read countless people, although the man in front wore coarse linen, looked very young, but the feeling was not like a general poor scholar. Only his calmness right now was enough to let him treat him with courtesy.