chapter 34: We Don't Need You to Feel Sorry For us! Go to the Fair

Early the next morning, after the father and sons finished running and practicing boxing routinely, Ling Jingxuan wheeled the scooter and went to Yuehua Ditch. Anyway they would go to the county fair today, so he planned to catch some more fish for sale. Before he went, he nagged the two buns not to forget to shut the fire after the medicinal herbs were decocted well. But there was one thing he neglected-their curiosity about that man. They said they did not care about it at all, but how could they really not care about him since they were blood-related?

Yan Shengrui had practiced kung fu all the year round, so his hearing was especially good. Everything that happened in this family was known to him, including the dialogue between Ling Jingxuan and two buns last night, and the wine and jam thing Ling Jingxuan mention. Although he had lost his memories, a lot of instinct things were still there. After a short period of contact was enough to let him know this man Ling Jingxuan, which also triggered his curiosity about this man.

Of course, this does not mean that he fell in love with Ling Jingxuan. One could only say, now, compared with regaining his memories, he preferred to know more about Ling Jingxuan.

“Here is your medicine. Daddy made the brown flower mushroom paste this morning. Eat.”

After having hesitated outside the door for a long time, the two buns finally pushed the door open and went into the rom. Wearing a dark face, Ling Wen put two big bowls in front of him, while his eyes never looked at him, and therefore he ignored the man’s concentrating expression, while Ling Wu, though hiding behind Ling Wen, he kept sweeping over at the man from time to time. After his daddy told him, he noticed that they really looked so much alike.

“You eat this every day?”

Knowing the kids did not like him, Yan Shengrui didn’t try to cotton up. He withdrew his eyes and looked at those black paste, among which was scattered a few brown eggplant nubs, reminding him about the food Ling Jingxuan had brought him these two days. Yan Shengrui raised his head, a faint caring feeling flashed from under his dark and deep eyes. He forgot everything, of course he wouldn’t remember how he looked. Having been lying down these days, he got no chance to see what he looked like, so for the two buns’ face, he did not have too feeling, just when looking at them, he always felt a thing.

“What’s wrong with eating this? You should feel gratitude that you still got something to eat.”

Ling Wen was sensitive and thought he was disapproving of their food. He raised his head and glared at him with a pair red eyes. His hands were clenched into fists and his lips were twitching, which showed that he was trying to restrain himself. Yan Shengrui was caught in a daze and immediately held up his own body, trying to explain, “Don’t take me wrong. I am not judging the food. I just feel sorry for you.”

For some reason, he just didn’t want them to resent him. Maybe that’s what father-son nature is all about.

“If you really feel sorry, how would you have dumped daddy and us? We don’t need you to feel sorry for us.”

After the angry roar, Ling Wen pulled Ling Wu up and ran away. Yan Shengrui tried to hold them but missed. After quite a while, he slowly withdrew his right hand, showing a faint smile on his lips. It seems the two little things has really held great grudge at him.

Ling village was located in a good position, not far from the county. It takes about half an hour to walk there. It’d be faster if taking the ox cart, but each person needed to pay a copper coin, goods extra money. Ling Jingxuan caught four buckets of fish today, with the help of Ling Jingpeng, the four people pushed the handcart to entrance of the village to take the ox cart.

Along the way people all gossiped about them. These days finally the little bun became a bit outgoing, now he hid behind Ling Jingxuan shyly. Just because they were too precocious, in the face of others’ gossip, or even abuse, they would be more sensitive and uncomfortable.

“Xiaowen, Xiaowu, everyone lives in this world for only a few decades, if you care about what others think about you all the time, then your life is like your underpants, you have to pocket what others fart. So, what I am trying to say is, don’t care about what others say, as long as we live happily.”

Stretching out a hand to pull the two buns, Ling Jingxuan smiled, but the cold sharp eyes bearing no feeling of smile. He did not care about how others judged him, but could not bear those people judge his two buns. Ling village! He remembered it! Some day he would let those people look up to them.

“That is the spirit, Xiaowen, Xiaowu, just let them fart if they want, ignore them.”

Ling Jingpeng who seldom cared about those gossips echoed, with his young and handsome face covered with a thin layer of sweat. After all, it was June, even in the morning, pulling a handcart already made them too hot.

“Hmm, we know.”

Looking up at daddy and uncle, Ling Wen carefully nodded, no longer hiding behind Ling Jingxuan. Holding small bun, he walked beside them, although, his small face was still red, but it seemed he had grown up a lot in a moment.

“Xiaowen, Xiaowu!

Having gone through the densely populated village and arrived at the entrance of the village, a clear and crisp tender voice suddenly was heard. Not far from the place people were gathering, Tiewa sitting on an ox cart was waving at them, rosy-cheeked little face filled with excitement,  beside were two men, one tall, strong, but not so handsome. One could only say he was a tough man. While the other was short and exquisite, white and slender, seemingly weak, eyes, however, looking sophisticated and tenacious. Both were wearing clothes made of coarse linen. But one can’t find any breaths of rustics. If they changed some silk robes, people might think they were childes from some noble families.

“Daddy?”

Two buns were also obviously very happy, but they did not immediately run over, but turned to look at Ling Jingxuan.

“Go.”

“Hmm.”

Already sweating all over, Ling Jingxuan smiled while nodding, then the two buns ran over like rabbits. While running, they also shouted Tiewa’s name and waved at him, which made Ling Jingxuan smile and shake his head. This was what a five-year-old kid was supposed to behave like!

“They are Brother Zhao and Brother Han. On weekdays, Brother Zhao would pick up some work in the town to do at home. Brother Han would drive an ox cart to the village entrance to earn some money to support his family. But few people in our village would take his ox cart, so he earns little.”

No wonder there was no one beside their cart. After hearing Ling Jingpeng’s explanation, Ling Jingxuan twitched his mouth, already had no strength to ridicule the ‘proud’ and ‘noble’ Ling Village. Whatsoever! As long as they didn’t provoke him, otherwise, don’t blame his rudeness!