chapter 40: Jam Milkshake

“Hehe… Shopkeeper Zhang must also be a busy person, so I will not beat around the bush with you. I have a novel and rare but very suitable food prescription for the current weather. I wonder if you are interested.”

Whichever times, those young generations of the rich families had all kinds of illness of affluence and Ling Jingxuan was gonna sell him the jam using that.

“Oh? I guess you should know that every dish we serve should be top quality. Ordinary food could never fall into my eyes.”

The shopkeeper raised eyebrows, and did not mean to insult him or what. Xinyuan restaurant not only was the number one in Datong town, but also the biggest through whole Qing kingdom. They had branches almost in every town, county, and prefecture. Every one of their dishes was special, be it the color, flavor and taste. Of course the price was very high.

“I know that, of course. I wonder if you can lend me the kitchen.”

“Sir, please!”

Seeing that he looked really confident, Shopkeeper Zhang thought for a moment and then agreed. Under the eyes of the public, Ling Jingxuan and his two sons followed the shopkeeper into the restaurant behind.

Soon, it was the peak time. The cooks in the kitchen were all busy, sweating. As the shopkeeper went in, everyone stopped their job at hands and bent over at him, but as they saw Ling Jingxuan and two kids behind, they were totally confused. But Xinyuan isn’t like those ordinary restaurants. Even in the kitchen, from up to chefs, down to the dish washers, they were all selected. So as the shopkeeper didn’t take the initiative to speak, they wouldn’t ask.

“Is here OK, sir?”

After stopping at an idle cooking bench, the shopkeeper turned around and asked. Frankly speaking, he was really wondering what kind of food this man would serve him.

“Yeah, quite good. Please help me get some delicate plates or glasses, a few silver spoons, a bowl of fresh milk, a pinch of jasmine tea, a piece of clean cloth, and… well, a small hammer, and a piece of edible ice.”

Ling Jingxuan did not even look at the cooking bench, but directly burst out a series of strange things, making Shopkeeper Zhang all question marks in his head, but also did not forget to order people to prepare those things.

“Just stand by and wait. Daddy will finish soon.”

It was Xinyuan Restaurant. Things he wanted soon were all prepared. After taking the jam jar from big bun, Ling Jingxuan turned back and became busy, while Ling Wen holding his younger brother’s hand, quietly standing beside. No one knew their hands holding together were already soaked with sweat.

He first poured some milk into the pot to boil, then put in the jasmine tea. When the milk was boiled to pale brown, he drained out the tea leaves, put it in a small bowl filled with ice, and then used the clean sheet to wrap the ice, with a small hammer to break it, until all the ice was crushed into pieces, they were put in white porcelain dishes piled into the shape of a little hill, and at this time, the milk also became iced. Ling Jingxuan respectively poured some in each plate, finally uncovered the jam jar, scooped a big spoon and respectively splattered from top and bottom on the ‘iceberg’. Till now, a few plates of cool and refreshing jam milkshake were completed.

“Shopkeeper Zhang, please have a taste.”

Withdrawing his body, Ling Jingxuan handed a small silver spoon to him, while the calm and confident smile didn’t diminish a bit.

Light brown milk dyed the ‘iceberg’ light brown. The red jam flowing down from the top undoubtedly had the effect that made the finishing point. Only looking at it could let you drool. One could say the shopkeeper was pressing a bit spoon of it into his mouth, and the sourish cold instantly exploded in the mouth, it felt like the hot old kitchen instantly cooled down, the whole people felt so comfortable. This dish undoubtedly was worthy to appear in Xinyuan Restaurant!

“Come and try it, guys.”

He put down the spoon after a long aftertaste. The shopkeeper turned to those chefs who had already gathered around him.

‘Ok, the color matching and the cool and slightly sour taste is great and can be sold as a pre-meal drink, which will definitely be a great temptation for those who suffer in summer.”

“Chef Lin said right. I couldn’t believe the ordinary ice cubes could be made into such delicious food.”

“It’s good to cool your thirst in summer and invigorate your appetite…Really not bad…”

“Good.”

After tasking it, all the chefs expressed their admiration. The radian of Ling Jingxuan’s couldn’t help deepening. It seemed that this business should be done.

“I wonder if Childe Ling is going to sell this recipe or not?”

Shopkeeper Zhang turned to look at Ling Jingxuan, with his attitude becoming a little warmer. His intuition told him that the young man should not be here to sell the recipe, after all, when he made it, everyone was looking at it, and the process was simple, and a lot of people could learn it. He could add this dish without paying him.

“The recipe is for free. This is what I’m going to sell.”

As if having already anticipated he would ask it, Ling Jingxuan picked up the jar of jam he had opened earlier, “This is my own jam made from fruit and some herbs good for invigorating the appetite. The food must be served with this jam to be 100 percent delicious. Besides, jam can also be mixed with water, make cakes, cook dishes and so on.”

After so much foreshadowing, he finally got to the point. Shopkeeper Zhang and a group of chefs turned their eyes to the jam jar, and one of them scooped a spoon of the jam and stuffed it into his mouth. The slightly sour and sweet taste instantly took his heart, which could be seen from the contented smile on his face.

“Childe Ling, let’s talk about it outside.”

A glance at several chefs, Shopkeeper Zhang make a ‘please’ gesture, Ling Jingxuan did not stand on ceremony, picked up the jam, carried the two kids and walked out.