chapter 26: Spending Money Is Like Cutting His Flesh (2)

This pair of mother and son argued over a man, so neither of them noticed the man lying on the straw bed was moving the eyelids. He slowly opened his eyes, washing away the moment’s confusing, with that pair of almond-shaped eyes which were exactly the same like the two little buns’ locking them. The more they said, the more agitated. The man showed an I-knew-everything-now look, then closed his eyes like he had never woken up.

“Xiaowu, what we just heard must never be known to anyone else, including daddy.”

Of course, they never knew that the two buns who just came back heard all their conversation. While they still didn’t notice them, the big bun quietly pulled the small bun to the backyard. At such an early age, he may not all understand the meaning of those words, or understood their concerns, but he knew two things, first, that man is likely to be their father, and second, daddy doesn’t like that man. Since daddy doesn’t like him, he doesn’t either. Although he was small, he was crystal clear that they had suffered so much all because of that man.

“Why? I want a father.”

Little bun lowered his head, rubbing his fingers, eyes with tears, the villagers cursed them that they had no mother, they were monsters, and now their father came back, their home should be better and better. Why hide it?

“Xiaowu!”

Ling Wen’s voice suddenly went high, giving Ling Wu a scare, this time those tears popped out of his eyes. Seeing this, Ling Wen hurriedly stretched out his thin arms to hold him, “Xiaowu, don’t cry, we don’t need a father, only daddy is enough.”

“Boohoo… um…”

Although he did not understand, little bun still nodded, moaning. Ling Wen used the way Ling Jingxuan used, gently patting on his back, with that pair of small round almond-shape eyes refracting a firm light, he would protect his daddy and little brother.

Under Ling Jingxuan’s insistence, the man stayed, relatively, the old couple got very angry. Before leaving, they said they would never care things about him.But the next morning, Ling Chenglong still came to fetch the fish with Ling Jingpeng, after all, that was their own son. How could they really not care about him?

“Dad, Jingpeng, after the fish is sold, please help me buy twenty clay pots of this shape, and a few jars the size of salt shakers and two wooden barrels of the largest size, and finally ten jin of corn flour and two jin of pork.”

After his dad and little brother ate breakfast, Ling Jingxuan said while sketching the shape of the pots. Yesterday’s fish were sold 500 copper coins, equivalent to half a tael of silver. They could eat some meat for nutrition…But…

“Oh, daddy, we just earned a little money, you already want to spend it all? No, you can’t buy anything. You can’t let waste money like that.”

Big bun screamed, showing a I-don’t-agree-face. Ling Jingxuan held the forehead. speechless, and he didn’t say after quite a while with some patience, “Xiaowen, the clay pots are used for for the wild grapes, I told you we will turn them into a lot of money, but before that, a small amount of investment is necessary, and the corn flour and pork, you know, we do not have any food at home. Can we just starve? Look at you and Xiaowu, so thin, shouldn’t you eat some pork for nutrition?”

Now the most regretful thing in this life for Ling Jingxuan was to hand out the financial power. See? Spending some money was like killing the big bun!

“Daddy, you just don’t know how to sustain a family. How expensive are the small pots? Why don’t we buy two big ones? It is too luxurious to eat corn flour every day. Some black flour will do? Forget about the pork, too expensive, we can’t afford it for now. We still have no idea whether we can make money with those wild fruit. We should save money.”