chapter 32: Purse Strings; Poor Ling Jingxuan (1)

The rest of the wild grapes just made three jars of jam. Ling Jingxuan kept one jar for the kids, the rest two were soaked in the Crescent Spring water after sealed with some white cloth. He planned to sell them at the fair tomorrow. After bathing for the two buns and watering the wild grape and pear branches in the front courtyard, Ling Jingxuan went into the room.”

“What are you doing? Aren’t you bored counting them every day?”

Two buns, face to face, were sitting cross-legged on the bed, with a string of copper coins in between. The two of them were borrowing the moonlight to count them again and again. Ling Jingxuan helplessly shook his head, totally speechless about them counting it every night.

“Of course not. Those are still too few, OK? I’d like to count them all the time if I could.”

Only at such a time would big bun behave strangely naive, naive enough to see money only in his eyes.

“Er… why don’t you get into the holes of those copper coins?”

Ling Jingxuan touched his forehead. He has never seen anyone who is crazy about money like him!

“I wish I could.”

Totally unaware of his daddy’s sarcasm, big bun, holding the money, looking at him excitedly, “Daddy, guess how many copper coins we saved now?”

“How many?”

Ling Jingxuan lazily lifted his eyes and helped himself to pour a bowl of herbal tea. Could he say that he would shiver all over when heard his son talking about money now?

“We nearly saved nine hundreds of them. You bought a lot of things today, otherwise we’d have over one tael of silver now.”

In the end, big bun even gave his daddy a resentful eye, until now he still had a problem with the money spent on those jars. Who knows whether he could really exchange money with the wine? If no one bought it, their a few hundreds of copper coins would go nothing.

“Ahem…”

Hearing that, Ling Jingxuan who was drinking water almost choked to death, the two buns hurriedly hopped off the bed and patted on his back on both sides.

“Daddy, are you ok?”

Small bun patted his back and looked at him anxiously with his shining caring eyes, while big bun…

“Daddy, you are an adult, how can you still get choked with water?”

If it weren’t for you, would I get choked?

Hearing him nagging like an adult, Ling Jingxuan rolled his eyes, only wishing to find a piece of noodle to hang himself. Who is the daddy?

“Ahem… okay, I’m fine.”

Finally it took him much effort to cast away the ‘psychological shadow’ big bun left him. After wiping his mouth, he looked at big bun and said, “Xiaowen, I’m going to go to the fair in the town tomorrow. We still need a few kinds of herbs for second uncle’s illness. Besides, we need some necessities. And I also want to buy some clothes, so we…”

“Daddy, do you know what you are saying? Why are you always thinking about spending money? Is it so easy for us to save money? How many times have I told you that this money is for emergencies? Why don’t you listen? How can you live like this? Even if we have mountains of gold and silver, we can’t afford you to spend it like this. Daddy, please stop, we…”