chapter 38: Datong town; Selling Fish (2)

“Hmm.”

Ling Jingpeng nodded, but his sight was always sweeping to Ling Wen and Ling Wu now and then, interwoven with naked worry and anger under his eyes.

The fish market was located in the innermost, although they went out early, but spent a lot of time on the road, so those good stalls were basically occupied by people. Zhao Dalong could only drive the cart to a corner. Four of them worked together to carry the big buckets down, while the three buns, holding oil-paper bags obediently, stood aside.

“We can only sell them here, but your fish are big and fat. People will buy. We need go to the iron shop now and pick you up later.”

“OK, thank you so much.”

After seeing off Zhao Dalong and his family, Ling Jingxuan raised his eyes to look at the nearby fishmongers, eyes rolling, then waved to let Ling Jingpeng and two buns come to his side. Four people whispered there for quite some time before they separated.

“Fish, farm bred medicinal fish, fat and big, the little girl will become more beautiful, and the young boy would become more energetic, and the aged would keep healthy after eating it…”

“Beautiful sister, buy some fish, my father feed those fish with all kinds of expensive medicinal herbs. You will certainly become more beautiful after eating it.”

“Uncle, buy some fish. Dad feed them with medicinal herbs, very delicious!”

“Fish for sale, fat, big, exclusive medicinal fish…”

Before long, the four of them started to peddle, and the passers-by stopped to gather around. Two buns were both sweet and behaved. Whoever stopped, they would call brother and sister, making those uncles and aunts with wrinkles all over their face smile heartedly. Ling Jingxuan and Ling Jingpeng also refused to fall behind. They nearly used all the nice words they knew on their fish.

“The children are really sweet, oh, these fish are really big. Did you really fed with medicinal herbs? How much is it?”

“Of course. I have read a few years’ books since I was young, and know a little traditional Chinese medicine. I used angelican, astragalus and other nourishing medicinal materials to feed those fish you know. One jin for only ten copper coins. Would you like some?”

To see someone hooked, Ling Jingxuan bent down to grab a at least six to seven jin big chub, thin and handsome face bursting into a passionate smile, even those coarse linen clothes with basically all patches could not hide his inborn nobility and elegance.

“Since it’s so good as you said, then I shall buy one.”

“OK, wait a moment please.”

“I’ll have one too…”

“Give me two carps…”

“Me, too…”

With the first business succeeded, next was much easier, those onlookers all said to buy their fish. You can imagine how happy the two buns were, peddling more vigorously, while Ling Jingpeng was busy weighing. Several people cooperated with each other, soon sold two whole buckets of fish, and copper coins full of small wooden box at their feet.

“Daddy, we’re making a lot of money.”

Businesses were one wave after another. As the previous guests left, businesses also gradually quieted down, and the four people could finally take a breath. The two buns looked at the wooden box of money and cheered. Ten copper coins one jin! They had been worried it was too expensive, after all, they usually only sold eight coins one jin, but…people in the town were richer than people in the village.

“Haha… as long as you’re happy.”

Peddling for a long time, throats became a little uncomfortable. Ling Jingxuan also didn’t want to talk too much. Noticing that it was a bit late, the market should reach the most lively degree, Ling Jingxuan turned to ask, “Jingpeng, you can cover it yourself, right?”

“Yeah, sure, I’ll sell as you taught me, and it probably won’t be long before they’re all sold out.”

“Fine then, you take care of it, I go to try and see if I can sell the jam, by the way I’ll buy some medicine for Jinghan and some necessities.”

Speaking of which, Ling Jingxuan already stood up. Immersed in the piles of copper coins, the buns were not aware of it at all. The two brothers took a look each other and couldn’t help smiling. Money already stuffed into the purse. Were they worried they would fly away?

“Xiaowen, Xiaowu, we are going to sell jam, do you want to come?”

Picking up two jars containing the jam, Ling Jingxuan withdrew his eyes and looked at them, smiling.

“Yes, I’m going with daddy.”

Small bun didn’t even think about it and rushed over and hugged his leg, while big bun was embarrassed to look at him and then the money box again. His little face was full of tangles, and after quite a while he looked at his daddy again and said, “How about I stay with my uncle to sell fish?”

Well, he admitted that he couldn’t leave with the money and wanted to stay and make more.

“Oh? So I can just buy anything I want?”

Picking his eyebrow, Ling Jingxuan teased him.

“No!”

The next second, the puffy pupils constricted, and big bun looked at his daddy with his hands behind his back like a grown-up, snarling, “Daddy, you’re going to waste money again. I’d better go with you.”

Saying so, big bun squatted down and took out a shabby money bag from his chest, very ‘heart aching’ counting twenty copper coins to put in, Ling Jingxuan’s mouth witched, he almost fell over directly. They got to buy a lot of things. What can twenty copper coins do?

“Ahem…Ge, just let him.”

Trying to hold back his laugh, Ling Jingpeng patted his shoulder with sympathy. Having such a stingy son, it was really difficult for him.

Giving his gloating younger brother a stare, Ling Jingxuan originally wanted to let the big bun simply not take money. Now hearing his younger brother say that, he also didn’t want say more, picked up the jars and walked away.

“Daddy, wait for us.”

Seeing this, the two buns hurriedly followed up, hand in hand, the father and two sons soon immersed in the crowd. Holding it for a long time, Ling Jingpeng suddenly burst out a terrible laughter. Since his elder brother became sober, their home seemed to be more and more lively, more and more interesting.