chapter 54: Shrewd Mother and Daughter

“Look at your tone! My mother is your elder anyhow. How could you treat her like this? You should be put in the pig cage and soaked in water.”

Ling Xiaoying was 14 years old, a proud and lofty girl who was pampered by her parents ever since childhood. Seeing Ling Jingxuan’s attitude, she rushed up and pointed at his nose, scolding him at moral high ground. Her mother subconsciously held out her chest, staring at him with her big nostrils. Like a saying ‘like mother, like daughter’.

They heard some villagers said that the monster in front of them seemed to have made a fortune, bought a lot of things, so they came here to see if they could take away something good…but…

But they seemed to have forgotten that Ling Jingxuan was kicked out of his home by his father as early as five years ago, and was cut off from the family tree. Seriously speaking, Ling Xiaoying’s mother was no longer his elder now. Besides, Ling Jingxuan wasn’t that coward like before, filial piety is worthless to him!

“Interesting…”

His low, soft, and cold laughter suddenly sounded, which startled the two, who thought they were sure to win. Looking at Ling Jingxuan, who covered his mouth and chuckled, Ling Xiaoying blurted out, “What are you laughing at? Did I say something wrong?”

“Stupid ass!”

His laughter suddenly disappeared, the handsome thin face turned cold, and he said sarcastically, “Did you forget that I was expelled from the family by Master Ling five years ago? In these years, you’ve never cared about whether I am alive, and may even wish me and my sons would die soon. Now, you claimed to be my elder when you came to visit for the first time after so many things. Have you ever paid your duty as an elder? Well, Ling Xiaoying, even if I call your mother ‘aunt’, it’s none of your business for what I did. Don’t forget, I’m older than you, you have to call me elder brother.”

To deal with this kind of self-righteous people, Ling Jingxuan knew reason and politeness was of no use, otherwise, they would definitely be insatiable. The original owner chose to put up with them when being bullied, so Ling thought ‘he gave them the right to bully him’. But the man was different and he would never show weakness in front of anyone.

“You…”

Ling Xiaoying’s face turned red with anger. She stretched out her slender fingers uncommon for a farm girl and pointed at Ling Jingxuan. Her flat chest fluctuated up and down, enough to show her flames of fury.

Ling Jingxuan smiled and leaned against the door frame. “Isn’t it? Or you actually have a crush on me? Gee, sister Ying, you’re yet reaching the age of marriage, how could you tangle with a family shame like me? But I have no objection and we can hurry to the county for an engagement if you insist.”

Fifteen was an age for ancient girls to get married. A rural girl would even become a mother at thirteen or fourteen. Ling Xiaoying came the age. In the style of Ling family’s self-proclaimed “noble”, Ling Jingxuan dared to bet his head that Ling Xiaoying would never dare to provoke him again, at least not now.

“Mother…”

Sure enough, Ling Xiaoying twitched her small mouth and shook her mother’s arm. While her mother’s attention was already away from her daughter after smelling the meat. Being interrupted by her daughter, her mind back from the kitchen and said with a lofty posturing. “Brother Jingxuan is right, which girl would be like you? Be like a lady.”

Her words lacked sincerity, even idiots could tell. Ling Xiaoying, receiving her mother’s implicit, stopped talking but glared at Ling Jingxuan with hatred. A woman’s reputation prevailed all in ancient time. She didn’t have an engagement and her mother told her long ago that she would marry a wealthy and influential family. Before that, she could not be gossiped by others because of the monster Ling Jingxuan.

“Jingxuan, I have been here for a while, don’t you even ask me to come in? The weather is so hot. I’m thirsty.”

Then she shifted her attention to Ling Jingxuan. The roundworm in her stomach was already stirring because of the smell of meat from the house. However, Ling Jiangshi still stood on her dignity, trying to buckle him for unfilial crimes again. Obviously, she was not clear about the situation.

Ling family was never poor and would be called as well off with dozens of acres of fields, as well as livestock and other fortunes. Even if they had many mouths to feed, by the end of the year, they should have a lot of surplus money. But the reality was, the whole family had not eaten meat for a long time. The old lady who held the economic power was extremely stingy, selfish, and biased. Master Ling was the only one who could eat meat. The smell of meat made the mother and daughter unable to stop swallowing, and they couldn’t wait to fly into the yard.

“I’m afraid my shabby hut could not entertain you two Buddhas. Aunt Ling, you two might as well return to your big blue-brick-tiled house.”

Look at the woman playing dumb, Ling Jingxuan showed his attitude openly, then turned to close the door. Ling Jiangshi stepped forward and pushed him away, pulling up Ling Xiaoying and drilling in the yard. The delicate smell of meat seemed to be more intense. The mother and daughter swallowed saliva quietly and went straight to the kitchen.

“I advise you to stop.”

He really despised the woman. Withdrawing his smiling face, he dashed forward to block their way before they entered the kitchen, and his thin and handsome face was covered with coldness. “It’s illegal to enter the private territory without the permission of the owner. I can go to the county government to sue you at any time. Don’t blame me for not reminding you that you’re going to jail for breaking into private houses. Even if you don’t have to go to jail, being beaten is indispensable. Aunt, you should not want your daughter to be beaten with a naked butt in public.”

Ling Jingxuan had seen many thick-skinned people, but it was the first time for him to see such shrews. But he was by no means a cowardly lion to be bullied.