Y7 .。.:*༄ The End

A/N ~ The title says it :,)

ϟ ͛ r⃒⃘

Regulus Black had been a necessarily determined individual his whole life. He was always sure of his emotions and was barely hesitant. Perhaps that was why he was a Slytherin.

But the moment he ran into his brother in the halls of the burning castle, after eighteen years, thousands of emotions rushed through him.

Sirius' face was blank at first- he did not recognize the man before him if he was a friend or foe.

Regulus knew immediately, though. He used to look up to his brother, how bold he was with their parents.

How he always stood up for himself and what was right. Those eyes were similar to his own and the rest of their family.

Regulus could see the exact moment when the realization struck Sirius in the face. He raised his wand.

"Riddikulus!" He exclaimed, pointing his wand at Regulus. Nothing happened.

"Rude," Regulus muttered, aware of his heart beating rapidly in his chest. "Despite the glow of godfatherhood, brother, I'd say you look ridiculous, too."

Sirius froze, his hands suddenly cold and clammy at the same time. He stared into his brother's face, taking in his presence, wondering why he suddenly felt warm inside.

"Reggie," Sirius whispered, his face plastered with utter bewilderment.

"How many times do I have to tell you- it's Regulus," Regulus huffed. "or Reg if you must,"

Sirius' chest heaved visibly, and he looked stunned for a moment, but his face quickly bounced back to his usual calm and slightly smug resting face.

"You idiot brother," He chuckled hollowly. "Don't expect a warm welcome back. So sorry to break it to you, but I'm ready to fight anyone who would cause my godson any harm,"

"Funny, because I just saved his girlfriend's life, an hour ago," said Regulus. "Not to mention it was I who started the potential defeat of the Dark Lord."

"And why would you do that?" Sirius huffed. His voice shook mildly and contained no spite, but simply wariness. "You're one of them. Reggie Black, Mum and Dad's favourite Death Eater son."

"Have you ever considered, Sirius, that I never wanted to be Mum and Dad's favourite child?" Regulus whispered. "That I, unlike you, was a coward and was not brave enough to stand against them, even if it was the only thing I wanted to do?"

An explosion landed outside the hall where they stood, followed by several screams and blasts.

The brothers turned around, wands raised cautiously.

"Even so," Sirius grumbled, side-eyeing his brother. "You were an idiotic child- a reckless boy. You joined the Death Eaters."

"Because I thought- maybe then, I could be some use," Regulus said quietly, as they heard footsteps thundering from above. "to someone."

"Well, maybe you should've considered being there for your wayward brother when he needed you," Sirius said bitterly.

Regulus looked at him and laughed. Sirius winced from the familiarity of it.

"You haven't changed a bit," Regulus sighed deeply. "I would've been there for you, Sirius. I would've if you had let me. But it seemed to never cross your mind that I was even there."

A muscle in Sirius' jaw twitched, though he remained silent.

"While you had your friends, I had no one," said Regulus. "While you were busy ignoring me, I was wishing I were you. You never considered me as your brother."