10

I was nervous. Never had I ever expected myself to stand at the centre of everyone's attention, waiting for me to start acting. Even the word acting sounds strange and the feeling that I might be mocked at had my nerves going haywire. Coming on stage and singing infront of strangers is a different thing. You know even if you messed up, they would be too drunk to notice. Plus they don't know you personally so no need to stress over the chances of being mocked in near future as well. But this, this is different. They are all my colleagues and they know me very well. One mistake and I would be turned into a laughing stock for years to come. Maybe I am overthinking but I am sure of one thing. Accepting Lavender's challenge on impulse was a mistake. This was her reign, I shouldn't have expected to outshine her in her own territory, that was so overconfident of me!

But what's done is done. What's been said had been said. I cannot withdrew now but I can try to minimize the loss. My loss. Clearing my throat, I focused on the words of my dialogues. Replaying them in my memory before zoning out of the current scenario and relishing in the artificial scenario that I created in my head assuming that I am the real Desdemona, and I am not acting, instead actually trying to convince my Dad for his approval of my marriage.

My whole attention was on dialogue delivery and my body motions, completely blocking the loud noises of peers. I have seen the appreciation in prof. Vincent's eyes when Lavender performed. He was smitten by her talent, taken aback by her impeccable acting, I need to do better than her, surpass her in her own arena in order to defeat her or else this semester would soon turn into an ordeal.

Having been said the last word of my dialogue, I opened my eyes to deliver my thanks. The very first eyes, my eyes met with was the baby blue orbs of this intimidating handsome man who happens to be my teacher. He liked my performance, it was written all over his face but the appreciation, that I saw for Lavender's performance, the approval and the surprise was gone. In that very moment it clicked me, I lost.

I quickly glanced at others and surely they were all surprised. They didn't expected a shy wallflower like me to fire the stage like that. Okay, that went a bit overboard, I admit. But still I surpassed their expectations of me. I was still content.

Bowing down in thanks, I walked away from stage, my heart beats drumming in my ears, I pressed my sweaty palms against my chest, rightly said, it felt like my heart was beating against my hands. My cheeks were fuming and legs were shaky. The first thing I did was find myself a seat and sitting there I inhaled deeply before closing my eyes and relaxing my body.

A moment or two later, a loud clap pulled me out of my trance. "Students assemble," he ordered before standing up from his seat and standing near the stage with students surrounding him. A piece of paper was clutched tightly in his grasp as he waited for every last person to join the crowd. Not to mention the said last person was me.

Once we all gathered he began announcing the names of students and the characters they would be playing. Karl was to play Duke of Venice, Brian was to play Brabantio, Maverick was to play Cassio and Jameson would be Othello.

When it came to female characters, my heart sank. I already knew the results. Only a miracle could deprive Lavender from playing Desdemona.

"Ashley would be playing Emilia," he eyed the girl with black greasy hair and dark rimmed glasses with a big green hoodie as Ashley bursted into giggles,"I made it!" She pumped her fist in air as prof. Vincent remarked," A bit make-over would do."

"Bianca would be," the moment he said those words I fisted my palms, already coming up with excuses which I would give to professor in order to back out of the play. I don't want to be a part of it if that means I have to endure the bitchy attitude that lavender shall toss my way if I loses this challenge to her. "Lavender!" Prof. Vincent declared and my eyes widened as I took in what happened. Lavender was shell shocked and everyone stared at her defeated face as she shook her head slowly. Strongly in denial.