44

Inhaling the sweet scent of fresh roses for the umpteenth time, I placed them on my bed and walked to the closet. I took out a black legging paired up with loose white shirt and quickly changed into them.

Then I made a beeline to kitchen. I was starving!  Quickly making myself chicken sandwich, I munched on them lazily.

The same time I heard the door bell ring. Stuffing the last bite of sandwich in my mouth, I strode towards the door.

Opening the door I was met with the twinkling eyes of Vincent. Immediately a big grin stretched across my lips.

I remembered his sweet gift of flowers and was about to thank him for them when he pushed a beautiful bouquet of pink roses and sunflowers in my arms.

My jaw fell open, confusion stirring in my mind.

I chuckled nervously,  gazing at the flowers," what was the need of this?" Seriously,  he didn't have to buy me another bouquet.  I was fine with red roses.

He leaned down towards my face and placed a lingering kiss on my cheeks,"I was passing by a flower shop and saw the woman watering those, it Immediately reminded me of you," he placed a finger on pink ones and with the same fingers, he pinched my cheeks like I was some toddler,"Rosy cheeks like pink roses and bright smile like a sunflower. "

I felt heat crept up my body, I looked down at the flowers, still unable to process that he was comparing me with these beautiful flowers.

Stepping aside, I give way for him to enter.

He walked in the small apartment,  his broad built looking funny as he sat down on the couch.

He beckoned me to follow him with his two fingers and I walked after him.

Just as I was about to take a seat beside him, he stopped me and pulled me on his lap.

A surprised squeal left my lips as I plopped down on his lap. Adjusting myself over him, I placed my head on his chest.

"Your house looks better now.." he commented looking around the small box of a living room in appreciation.

I gasped, feigning offense.

"Atleast it has some life in it!" I pointed towards all the photo frames and trophies from my childhood that decorated the only decent wall of my home. The rest had windows or chipped wallpaper on it.

He stared intensely at the frame that was on the coffe table, before picking it up. It was a picture taken when I was five, my mom and dad were smiling at me as I was in dad's arms. I fight the tears that were welling in my eyes. I loved that picture, it was taken in a carnival.

"You look exactly like your mother," he commented, still blandly staring at the picture.

Isn't he supposed to atleast smile or tease me with my childhood photos? I guess it's what boyfriends do?

Not that he is my boyfriend...

I nodded nonetheless,  trying to contain my disappointment in.

"Tell me about your family Audrey?" He looked at me dead serious in the eyes  while asking this.

Fact: he is definitely new to this.

"Um..my parents were the best in the world. They met each other when they were seventeen and  instantly fell for each other. After dating for three years, they decided to marry. My mom's parents disapproved of their early marriage so they had to elope."

"One year after their marriage, they had me. Soon after my birth, my paternal grandparents died."

"My dad was a carpenter and my mom was a nurse. They weren't extremely rich yet they tried their best to give me the best children my age had." I smiled at the sweet memories of my childhood. My mom's delicious cookies and my dad's garden.