11

I blew my nose into the tissue before tossing it in the already full-of-used-tissues dustbin before wrapping my purple blanket around my burning body tightly and moving out of my room. Pouring hot water in my cup, I added ginger tea leaves into it before sipping on it slowly and sighing in its warm bliss. I received my shot of vaccine for Covid-19 yesterday and ever since then I am burning in fever. Doctor said that it was normal to have fever after your vaccine and that I will be fine after some rest.

But that's the issue, the lack of rest in my life. People can rest but work doesn't. Duties doesn't. Last night I had to go to my workplace since Dayton said he failed in finding a substitute singer for me on such short notice and this morning, Lavender has been pestering me into coming to college for practice despite me refusing. "Sorry babe but you are the leading lady and the whole practice can't be delayed because of your little issue." This is what she said when I told her that I am ill.

Nevertheless I don't need a plastic barbie to lecture me on my duties, I already am very responsible and vigilant towards my own responsibilities. And due to those commitments, I have to leave for college although high on fever.

After a hot bath I picked out faded blue jeans and a warm white hand knitted woolen sweater which belonged to my mom. Tying my hair in a loose ponytail, I swiped a coat of lip balm on my chapped lips and sprayed some mouth spray on my tongue before tossing the bottle in my bag. Fever really makes your mouth smell bad.  Picking up my bag pack I walked out of my apartment to my usual bus stand.

I woke up early today because I didn't have it in me to arrive late at bus stand and then chase the vehicle to hop on it. And thanks to that, I am early today. A couple in their early thirties too waited alongside me for the bus as I plugged in my ear phones and played a newly released song of a Pakistani singer. Although I don't understand the lyrics one bit but I like the music. It's soft and melancholic.

The bus arrived twenty minutes late and I got so tired standing there due to lack of energy courtesy skipping breakfast, again and high fever. Every kind of colourful words left my mouth for lavender when I couldn't find a vacant seat on the bus and had to stand for another half an hour till I reach my destination. Even the usual noises and voices of people irritated me extra today, I just want to sleep right now!

The lack of enthusiasm was evident in my demeanor today as I made my way through students towards my locker. The very first person I spotted was Mars, reading a comic book, his back leaning on my locker. I subtly cleared my throat, catching his attention.

"Can you please step aside? I need to use my locker,"I pointed towards the metal cabinet behind him with the keys in my hand as he looked behind him before stepping aside.

" I thought you were on leave?" He assessed my body as his eyes narrowed at my appearance. He probably have noticed my dark circles and visibly pale complexion as he spoke with genuine concern,"Are you alright?" As if on instinct his hand shot up and rested on my forehead,"God! You are burning!" He exclaimed.

His hand felt cold against my skin increasing my discomfort, I stepped away from his touch and mumbled softly,"I am fine. It's just fever."

"Still you shouldn't have come here today. You needs to rest. Why are you so careless towards your health?" His tone took a sharp accusing turn at the end. The concern in his eyes changed to fury at my words. He hated my careless attitude.

"As if it's in my hands." I rolled my eyes, mostly to appear unaffected but in reality, I was getting intimidated. I never thought this sweet boy could appear so fatal when angered.

" What do you mean?" His eyebrows rose up suspiciously.

" I was actually on leave. Lavender called me for practice." I huffed and crossed my arms across my chest. His jaw clenched in anger as he balled his hands at his sides. He might have notice the fright in my eyes as the next moment his anger dissolved and worry resurfaced in his dark eyes.