Arc 7: Royal Deceit (200)

"An Country?" Gu Zixing was astounded. He is looking for that last relative of Empress Qing, Hong Cha. The girl might know where she is and maybe the young miss he is trying to search is in the brothel. Gu Zixing's hope began to rise. "Then, do you know anyone called Hong Cha? She is a descendant of Hong Clan and maybe the last. Tell me if you have any information of her whereabouts, I promise to give you safety here."

Hong Cha's heart thumped in fear. She should have known, he is after her too and he wants her dead. Hong Cha looked away and thought of a lie. "The brothel of Madame Wen is not only one. There are branches in this regimen. If I were to assist for your search, will you really help me?"

"I keep my words." He nodded. The young girl smiled a bit and loosened her grasp.

"Sir Nian, you're the only person I can trust now. I will find this Hong Cha." She is at the advantage. It was a good thing she met Gu Zixing. "How will you exactly assist me?"

"I can buy you but you must first look for Hong Cha. For the meantime, I can reserve you for me so they won't suspect anything or sell you to another guy. Tonight, you stay in my residence and I will return you to the brothel again." He gave her an intent look. She seemed to be nice. It was not her will to become a prostitute. Moreover, this girl will cause a commotion soon. She is beautiful, unparalleled and not even innocent women which he prefers can outshine her. When he took off that veil, he is surprised internally.

No wonder Madame Wen initiated to give her to young commandants like him. Through this girl, Madame Wen can build connection and entice soldiers to enter brothels she runs. The girl before him have the ability to seduce a man with a hook of her finger. She is tempting, her face as if derived from fox spirits captivating mortal men or a snow demoness ready to demonize even a man with high morals. However, her personality is against her alluring appearance. She is not fully willed to seduce men or sell her body. Her eyes... It's devoid of any immorality like those other women in the brothel has.

Hong Cha stayed for the night in Gu Zixing's residence. It was provided by the warlord for his participation at war and his merits too. In four years, from a new soldier, he became a commander.

"Sir Nian, what merit did you do at war?" Hong Cha curiously asked before he left her room. He led her here so she can rest. He didn't even try to touch her. It amazed her there is a man like him. At the same time, it reminded her of her protective elder brothers. Her elder sisters are no less fond of her. She is the only legitimate child of General Hong but because her mother is very kind to his concubines, a scheme never happened in their household. She came to miss those days where she was with her siblings that spoiled her the most. If she had known this will happen, she would have been more grateful and satisfied with their existence.

"I... It's something I'd rather not share." Gu Zixing stopped by the door and slowly faced her. His comrades knew he killed General Hong after that man escaped. General Hong is a wise leader and the pillar of An's defense. His death is the greatest victory the northern regimen acquired.

"I won't press on the matter. Uhm, Sir Nian." She called out before he leaves. Gu Zixing hummed and held the door's handle. "Thank you."

"You don't have to. Good night." He lifted a warm smile and closed the door. Gu Zixing leaned there for a moment, suddenly recalling her bright expression. That girl... She must have gone through a lot of misfortune. Not only her, but there are others too. However, after seeing her for the first time in that banquet, he had the will to save her. It was like the idiom 'one look and deep in love', but he never believed such thing. He must be only sympathizing her because of his kind and gentlemanly nature.

Hong Cha sat down, her eyes on the door's edge. She can still see his shadow there. She remained vigilant but she heard him leave soon enough. Hong Cha felt gratified he is not faking anything. Her tears formed but she stopped them from falling. It was lucky she met Gu Zixing, it's a blessing. If this was fated then there must be something ahead their entwined destiny. All random things, accidents and unintentional occurrences have meanings and connection with others. She understood their interaction was predestined.

The full bright moon shined outside. Hours later, Gu Zixing woke up to hear a whimper. He is always a light sleeper because of his sensitive perceptions. His martial art attainment is also a factor he can hear sounds easily. Gu Zixing heard another cry and it was louder this time.

"Hong Ji!"

He went off the bed and hurried to her room. Gu Zixing opened the door in hurry and saw her curled on the bed. She was bracing herself, crying pitifully as if blaming her own.

"Miss Song? What happened?" He frowned and slowly sauntered to her direction. Hong Cha shuddered, she looked at him with fear and suddenly inched away. Gu Zixing paused on his steps. "Miss Song, it's me, Nian Xiaoyuan. Don't fear."

Hong Cha was shivering a bit from the intense fear. Her nightmare kept replaying but this time, it ended with Gu Zixing involved. She saw him lead an army and destroy a different empire where she lives. She doesn't know why but that dream is more vivid. She was confused too why she lives in a palace and he burnt it to ruins.

"Miss Song, it's fine. I won't harm you." He took a seat on the bedside and carefully approached her. Hong Cha calmed down a little. She eased after feeling his warm hand on her tearstained cheek.