Arc 7: Royal Deceit (258)

Hong Cha regretted her challenging word that night. She gave permission for Gu Zixing to show her his wild side. She ended up hoarse the next morning, with a sore lower body and not enough sleep. Hong Cha wanted to curse him since after waking up, she can feel his hand wandering about. Perhaps she influenced him badly. He forgot to put his shame back after having his fill last night. Hong Cha opened her eyes and noticed she was lying on him. She was greeted by his usual welcoming looks. How convenient, it hides what an insatiable beast he is in bed, pui!

"Water." Hong Cha needs to moisten her throat. She got off Gu Zixing and remained laying sideways. She felt the bed move and heard his clear footsteps. Gu Zixing returned with a cup of water. He got on the bed again and helped her sit up.

"You look very tired." He asserted. Gu Zixing had a good sleep last night, she was even the one to fall asleep first. Why does she look so depressed? And she moves carefully. Does it hurt?

"I really wonder why." Hong Cha scoffed and placed the empty cup on the bed. She lied on the bed again with the intention to sleep. "Why are you still here?"

"Sleeping next to you is nice." Gu Zixing leaned down, his elbow propped on the bed to support himself as he faced Hong Cha. He gently tucked her unruly hair behind her ear. Hong Cha opened her eyes to look at him.

"If you want to be useful, I have a task for you. I don't want to start the day begging for an argument with how stinky the bed is." Hong Cha said but she received a chuckle from Gu Zixing. She is about to sit up when the door bursts open. Hong Cha was terrified she almost jumped on Gu Zixing to hide herself.

He only laughed and used the blanket to cover her while she stuck close to him. "Yaoyao, you should knock on the door first."

"Sorry, Uncle. Yanyan wanted to see Auntie." Gu Qinyao stepped on the side and the horrified Gu Qinyan appeared. His face can't be painted at all.

"Kids! What are you doing there!?" Gu Yuan shouted. The young Gu Qinyao pulled Gu Qinyan away. Gu Yuan arrived at the door and kept his head low, he cleared his throat in shame. "Oh, they have caused you enough trouble. Specially Ying'er. She wants to apologize but I think she can do it later."

"Apologize?" Gu Zixing got curious but Gu Yuan had left. "What for?"

"Are you dumb?" Hong Cha poked her head from the blanket and faced him. "Your cousin likes you, and she wants to be your concubine fast. I saw her putting a substance at the tea you were supposed to drink and I was thinking you look sinful, that's why I choked. But you stupidly made me drink it, I just don't want to think you wanted to poison me."

"So, that's why you were so eager." Gu Zixing's tone became husky. Hong Cha pinched him in the instant. "Camellia!"

Hong Cha got off him. Her temper became unpredictable again, as if they never shared a fateful night. Gu Zixing is sure he was afraid at that moment. He pulled her back in his embrace and buried his face on her shoulder. He enveloped her with his warmth, to almost embed her scent on him as proof of their relationship.

"Camellia, I missed you. So much-, so much days had passed, I can only look at you from afar. But just yesterday, you completed me. Don't take that away quickly." Gu Zixing whispered his deepest thought. He shut his eyes and held her closer to his heart. If she is poison, he won't think twice to consume her. If she is a knife, he is like a fool seeking death and have it stab him. "Just let me be your husband this time, before you return to him."

Hong Cha didn't know when, not even a sob came from her but she felt a tear dampen her cheek. His soft pleading can get through a barrier of stones she erected around her. She nearly gave in but her hatred chained her back. Hong Cha secretly wiped that teardrop and nothing more followed up.

"Gu Zixing, can you fetch some herbs for me then?" She asked to break their silence.

Gu Zixing was in bliss. She didn't call him with his title, she used his name, and she didn't forbid him to refer to her as Camellia.

Gu Zixing arrived in a clinic with the list of herbs Hong Cha needed. A staff obtained it for him but he received a very strange look. An elderly clerk gave it to Gu Zixing, he smiled a bit off.

"A lot of young couples has been purchasing this medicine. Your wife needs it?" The elderly man said. Gu Zixing got confused.

"How did Sir know?" Young couples are asking for these herbs?

"The season is cold, so, most vigorous pair of mandarin ducks stay in one bed. These herbs are concocted for an effective contraceptive. A lot of young couples had it lately. Don't worry, I know the reason. Having too much children can be a problem."

"Pardon?" Gu Zixing's frown became evident. He suddenly wanted to throw the medicine away. "These are for a contraceptive?"

"Yes. Aren't you buying it for your wife? You sound so unsure."

"She... She didn't tell me." Gu Zixing felt conflicted. He didn't know, she just wrote them down and requested for him to bring it to her. Why is she becoming more and more vile?

Hong Cha waited in the tearoom and Gu Zixing arrived after a while. She saw nothing with him.

"The herbs?" She asked. She needs those to keep unneeded trouble in the future.

"Every clinic are out of stock." Gu Zixing lied. He left the herbs in the clinic and paid a lot of clerks to instruct them not to sell those herbs to Hong Cha. "Camellia, what are those herbs for?"

Hong Cha stood up to leave. She already guessed he knew something. "I am stuck with you here in Chang'an and I don't know when will I reach my country. I don't want to be pregnant, His Majesty will immediately know it's not his because I refuse to serve him in three years."

She made it clear, after they reach An, she will return being Imperial Noble Consort Hua and he will become Grand General Gu again. Few knew they are legally married, but with a bit of manipulation, they will appear like adulterers and the emperor will become the victim. If she expects a child, Gu Jiaoyue will know it's not his since he never had the courage to force her, she has refused to serve him so.