Arc 7: Royal Deceit (220)

The servants led Hong Cha to a scenic courtyard for dinner. The maple trees in the courtyard were blooming with orange and red leaves, complimenting the warm yellow light from the lamps that are illuminated on the man-made ponds filled with lily pods. She sighed in satisfaction, this place is so dreamy and beautiful.

"Cha'er, over here, dear." Meng Ziyan is by the parlour in the middle of the courtyard. She is sitting next to her husband and there are four seats in the exact.

Hong Cha greeted them and sat across Meng Ziyan. She then realized she will sit next to Gu Zixing tonight.

"Oh, look at you in that wisteria dress." Meng Ziyan admiringly said. Hong Cha bashfully lowered her head. "That is actually my favorite dress when I was your age. It suits you well."

"Thank you, Mrs. Gu." Hong Cha likes the dress too.

"Don't be formal, child. Call me Aunt Ziyan, it's fine."

"Refer to me as Uncle Shang too. You are welcome here."

Hong Cha smiled in bliss. She is about to speak when the eunuch announced Gu Zixing's arrival. Hong Cha raised her head to see him. Her world seemed to have stopped spinning.

Gu Zixing's attire is no longer a black martial suit. He looks like a scholarly gentleman with his dark to purple themed robe. So sophisticated he was, perfect in every angle. He walked unfettered, his posture straight, his demeanor welcoming. She was captivated by his clear dark somber eyes that emitted the trustworthy soul behind his outer appearance.

"Greetings, Mother, Father." Gu Zixing performed a respectful bow. He glanced at Hong Cha and noticed their clothes matched. He instantly knew his mother is behind this. "Camellia, you look lovely tonight."

Hong Cha's eyes widened. She felt her cheeks burning and even heard Meng Ziyan cheer.

"T-thank you." She hurriedly dismissed her trance and looked down. Why does he keep doing this to her? Why is she so lovestruck?!

"You two are sure cute together." Meng Ziyan piqued and pinched her husband in secret. "Don't they, Honey?"

"Yes they do!" Gu Shang quickly stopped drinking wine and focused on his wife's ploy.

"Aunt Ziyan, Uncle Shang, many thanks for having me here today." Hong Cha sincerely said. She turned to Gu Zixing and added, "Prince Yun, your family is great."

Gu Zixing responded by humming. He only feels like a fool because he knows his mother more than Hong Cha does. Not long from now, Meng Ziyan will surely try to hint them to be a pair of lovers.

"Cha'er, you are such a good lady. I can see the bearing of a proper young miss from you. Can we, one day, meet your parents responsible for raising you?" Meng Ziyan questioned. She distinguished Hong Cha's abrupt stillness. She looked at Gu Zixing upon feeling something off.

"Camellia is the only one left in their family." Gu Zixing slowly said and took a glimpse at Hong Cha. She smiled lightly and raised her head.

"Don't be sorry. I had enough fourteen years of my life spent with them. My family may not be here in this world but I know they wouldn't want me suffering and stuck in the past." Hong Cha had realized this when she witnessed how they cared for Gu Zixing. No heartless parent would want to see their child suffer.

Back then, she was so alone in the brothel, seeing only a hopeless present without a bright future. She would reminisce every night. If she had been a better sister, a better daughter, if she had seized those moments to show them she cared, she wouldn't have regretted nor will they part from this world with regrets. However, before her mother died, she embraced Hong Cha and told her she must move on forward without looking back no matter how dark the path ahead is. She thought her mother spoke about escaping, but no. It was for her life lesson. She must not stay in the past, she must move on and they only wanted the best for her, they don't want to see her feel pain in her whole lifetime.

The dinner concluded well that night. Once the young ones are out of sight, Meng Ziyan was pondering deeply.

"What is it?" Gu Shang can feel his wife's worries.

"Shang, do you remember ten years ago? Qingning and General Hong had a fight. I saw them argue after His Majesty Gu Hai indirectly insulted An Country. General Hong wasn't happy with that. Worse, Qingning sided with her husband. The brother and sister quarrelled and I heard Qingning saying she wouldn't help An or the Hong Family anymore. I just wonder, does Qingning really care for her niece?"

Gu Shang thought for a moment and reached to a possibility that Hong Cha was brought her to be used as a political tool in order to strengthen the faction of the empress and the crown prince.

"Are we doing the wrong thing? Maybe, Cha'er is not really for our son?" Meng Ziyan bit her nail. She frowned and said, "Zi'er is our child. I know he likes the girl. He also declined those proposals for the woman he can love and Cha'er is the one. What should we do?"

"Ziyan, don't overthink." Gu Shang sighed and held her hand to comfort her. "I will talk with Zi'er tonight. He can't lie to me, ah."

Hong Cha kept laughing on the way while recounting to Gu Zixing how his parents tried to pair them. She had guessed correctly and Gu Zixing wasn't looking good.

"I'll stop now." Hong Cha wiped her tears and pursed her lips. She thought Gu Zixing had enough shame already. Hong Cha turned around to see her residence. It was next to Gu Zixing's, only separated by a pathway.

"Have a good night." Gu Zixing understood it is time to part for the day. It was just that, he wanted to say something more but he is afraid voicing it out.

"Gu Zixing." She stopped him from leaving. When he faced her, Hong Cha stepped closed. "Good night."

Without a word, she held unto his shoulder and kissed the edge of his lips. Gu Zixing was dumbstruck. He only saw her wisteria figure dash towards the residence's gate and she was gone. He blankly touched his lip, blinking like a fool.

Behind the wall, Hong Cha leaned there nervously. She can hear her heart thumping loudly. She peeked form the gate and was Gu Zixing standing there. Slowly, a faint smile formed on his face.