Arc 7: Royal Deceit (208)

With the excuse to hunt, Gu Zixing and Hong Cha got closer to the border. By the time the soldiers will realize they are gone, they would have reached Tian's rural areas. Gu Zixing led her to a secluded path and helped her walk from the mossy stones. He let her take a break nearby a creek. Gu Zixing saw a red feather lying on the ground which increased his suspicion. He whistled sharply that Hong Cha became alert. A red macaw stopped by a camellia bush. Gu Zixing was elated to see the macaw.

"Kong, where have you been?" He motioned for the parrot which hurriedly settled on his arm. Hong Cha watched their interaction with great interest.

"Old White's lair." The parrot answered with it's loud voice. Gu Zixing handed a piece of paper and the macaw bit it.

"Take that to him. Be good and wait for us." Gu Zixing let the avian fly upwards. His face became serious as he assessed their situation. With their speed, they can reach his aide's place after a day or two.

"Sir Gu, it's getting darker." Hong Cha murmured with dusk overcoming the sky. She heard an owl and crickets noisily making sounds. The eerie atmosphere within the woods made her unabashed as she got closer to Gu Zixing and even held his arms. "Can we rest nearby?"

"You're just scared." Gu Zixing asserted with the intention to tease her. Hong Cha puffed her cheeks and leaned her head on his shoulder.

"So what if I'm scared? At least, you're here." She answered not in revolt but point out a fact. Hong Cha realized what she said and did but didn't feel ashamed. Instead, she smiled like a proud cat, trying her best to hide the butterflies she felt. "You know, Sir Gu, you're quite reliable. Can I know more about you? Your family, position, anything I'd be interested to know."

"Well..." Gu Zixing hesitated, "I'm the son of the headmaster of Gu Clan, the royal family of Tian Empire. The emperor is my uncle and your aunt is the empress, who is also close with me since I support her son, the crown prince. I prefer being called 'young master' than Prince Yun Wang. Being a young master is far carefree than bearing the title of a second-rank royalty. But, I'll make an exemption for you. You can call me Sir Gu."

"Your title? Yun Wang?" She faced Gu Zixing with her utmost curiosity. Hong Cha wanted to admire him more. A second-rank prince, not even a son of the emperor, he is really capable! "Wait, the crown prince is your cousin? Was it Crown Prince Gu Jiaoyue?"

"You know him?" Gu Zixing returned a question.

"Oh, I do. He visited An when I was twelve or something. I refer to him as Prince Brother. I even remember all my maidservants forgot to attend me just so they can follow him around. Prince Brother is such a charmer." Hong Cha chattered on without noticing Gu Zixing's change. He smiled further and heaved a sigh before looking ahead.

"Yes, Jiaoyue is handsome, isn't he? I can introduce you to him again when we arrive in Tian. Surely, even he can't resist you." He mistook her words for admiration towards Gu Jiaoyue. In Tian Empire, there are three royalties very famous within the crowds of women. One was Gu Zixing who is known as the gentlemanly heir of House Gu. Another is the second prince Gu Chi Lian, an infamous playboy. Lastly, Gu Jiaoyue, someone coldhearted on the surface but his indifference never repelled a lady. He thought, it will be better if Hong Cha were to like Gu Jiaoyue.

"Though Prince Brother is good-looking, he's not my type. He look so emotionless and has few words. It's difficult to communicate with him, he's very complicated to deal with. But, with you, it's different. You are welcoming and scholarly. I prefer you more than him." Hong Cha lowered her head to hide her heavy blushing. She had just confessed, what will his reaction be?

"Really? Aren't maidens nowadays searching for men like those?" Gu Zixing was dense enough not to interpret her hints to something affectionate.

"Who wants to marry a coffin-face? I would rather marry you then." Hong Cha said loudly that both of them paused. The horses with them neighed as if ridiculing her sudden shout. Hong Cha's face heated up she cant even utter a word. By thinking of marrying him, being his bride, sleeping with him, being his wife, carrying his child, it made her head spin!

"You're funny." Gu Zixing laughed and ruffled her hair. "You almost got me there. However, Xiao Cha should be more careful when speaking, en? Marriage is something sacred, only for two people honoring their vows of staying together for a lifetime. Don't joke like that again, alright?"

"But..." Hong Cha wanted to retort yet the fear of him finding her weird, had taken over her. He might distance himself if she continues so she helplessly nodded.

The two stopped already quite far from the border, nearing a rural area of Tian. Orange-lit fire brimmed in the forest. Hong Cha cant sleep and continued to sit by the fire. She glanced at the horses at rest before drawing her attention to Gu Zixing. He had fallen asleep underneath a tree. Hong Cha went to his direction. She stopped before him and placed her hand on her heart. She can feel the unsteady beat it produced the moment she got close to him.

Gu Zixing seemed to be belittling his charms. His feminine face, does he think it will lose to Gu Jiaoyue's expressionless look?

In fact, she prefers Gu Zixing more than any sort of pretty men. He is very caring, gentle and kind. She had never met a man she can trust after her brothers and father died. Gu Zixing have her sole faith. When she thought it will be her doom, he appeared, shocking her with his rejection and scholarly behavior. It wasn't his looks that hooked her. She had piqued he was pretty at first glance but regarded him a pervert, yet after being proven wrong with her speculation, she came to be infatuated by his pure intention belonging to a clean soul.