Arc 7: Royal Deceit (259)

Gu Ying apologised for what she had done. She even confessed she likes Gu Zixing and cried. Unexpectedly, Hong Cha comforted her. She advised the young girl that she have more time to find the right husband. If she wants a man that quick without process being together, the foundation won't be strong. A wise philosopher once said, decisive love requires time like a stream of water going through a rock, slowly etching it to a creek and into a river until that river reach the endless sea. Most women believed sudden favor is better, but it is equal to a raging flood that is uncontrollable and will destroy anything on its path.

As Gu Ying left cheerfully, Hong Cha wished she was back to her young self. She was impulsive back then, she let her heart first than reasonings. She kept believing Gu Zixing is the right person and she must not let go. That stubborn decision of hers led her to this circumstance, a messy present that can't be undone. If she was younger, she would have chosen to seduce a young master at north and avoid every chances to meet Gu Zixing again. She can endure if her husband have many concubines and wives, but isn't she wise enough to possess the position as favorite? Then, she wouldn't have to experience the pain of four years unable to recover from death's grip, the loss of heart in three years, and lack of trust.

But if she were to ask Gu Zixing if he regrets crossing path with her on that fateful night, he will say no. He have no regrets. She have so many choices before. The empress position, the favor of an emperor, the care of her last relative, the luxuries of all luxuries. In the end, she declined them and chose Gu Zixing. Every time he wants to quit, he wants to give up, she will still choose him. She never wanted to give him up and helped him realize it is worth it. Gu Zixing will even admit he is a fool for her. She had given up due to the pain everyone gave her, and like her in the past, he will show her the same stubbornness and win her back.

So what if she is a treacherous woman in front of their eyes? She is the girl who had given her everything for him, she risked her life to save him, she went against Hong Qingning, she gave him bliss and care no other person can provide him in this lifetime. He can't lose this chance. He promised to be the one to endure and if she get tired, he will be there to help her and never leave her behind.

She sleeps peacefully next to him. She no longer requires him to be alone every night. Gu Zixing knew there will be a point she will slowly let him enter her life once more. He is ever so happy she finally lowered her guard.

"Hong Ji, being her knight is difficult. I nearly failed." Gu Zixing muttered, his gaze focused on the full bright moon outside the distant window. He leaned his back on the bedpost, gently caressing Hong Cha's hair and it comforted her in her sleep.

Gu Zixing came to reminisce the past. He was seventeen or so, he entered the army and killed Hong Qiuran. His rank rose to a lieutenant commander. He have to keep his act and helped the generals in the battlefield. He came to know Hong Ji replaced his father and he is tough to deal with. Gu Zixing can't hide in the shadows like before and even the generals asked for his opinions. Hong Ji is indeed a young general but his father taught him well. Since they believed Gu Zixing brought down Hong Qiuran, they wanted to see if he can also capture Hong Ji.

Without a choice, he have to face Hong Ji's tactics. Hong Ji lost a lot of times until a general took over Gu Zixing's post and annihilated the weakened army of An. Gu Zixing made up an excuse and escaped the northern army. He sought for Hong Ji and found him seeking for someone desperately.

"General, I don't wish to fight you." Gu Zixing threw his weapons in surrender. Hong Ji still keeps his guard up and holds a sword. "I was ordered by Empress Qing to protect Hong Family's last descendants and bring them to Tian. My name is Gu Zixing, a relative of the Crown Prince."

Hong Ji's gaze was bewildered. He decided to bet and sheathed the sword to its scabbard. "How should I trust you?"

"Token of House Gu's young master." Gu Zixing tossed a jade emblem towards Hong Ji.

"Almost the same as what that arrogant prince has." Hong Ji recognized the token since he had seen Gu Jiaoyue carrying one in the past. He removed his hostility and showed his amiable side. "Apology for the previous resistance. Hong Family is incomplete. The capital is in Warlord Bai's siege and all of them are killed, except for my youngest sister. I didn't find her corpse and is hoping she is still alive."

Gu Zixing's eyelashes fanned as he hid his guilt. He had pretended too much and caused An to fall in the hands of Warlord Bai.

"I will find her. For now, I must protect you too." He sincerely said but Hong Ji laughed bitterly.

"I now remember. You are that close friend Gu Jiaoyue always talk about. No wonder you talk a lot like him. There is no need for you to help me out. I'd rather be a broken jade than an intact brick. My family had vowed for generations to protect our country at the cost of our lives. If, you could, I want you to save her, our little Hong Cha."

"But, you..." Gu Zixing can't understand. In a moment of silence, he knew what is going on. Hong Ji can't be saved, no matter what. Warlord Bai wanted him dead, he is the only person capable of avenging his family's cruel fate.

"Well, Young Master Gu, I hope you can look after her. She also wants me to stay alive but I can't keep that promise. I was always her knight yet I can't always stay by her side. If ever you find her, can I expect you to replace me?"

Gu Zixing hesitated. Hong Ji turned his back to leave so he made a decision. "I, Gu Zixing, vow to protect her at all cost."

"Heh." Hong Ji paused and glanced at him with a hooded gaze. His lips curved to a knowing smile. "Gu Zixing, what a nice name. You must be the stars she was seeking since young."