Arc 7: Royal Deceit (252)

"Because, I don't allow you!" Hong Cha whispered with force. Gu Zixing didn't seem to buy that and got closer. She annoyingly sat up to confront him back. "Get off the bed, I will sleep here."

"No, we will sleep here." Gu Zixing refused to spend a night on a couch. His father often told him stories that whenever he forgot something important and his mother got angry, he can't sleep in a bed with her. No wonder Gu Shang is always careful with Meng Ziyan's temper.

"Then you sleep here!" Hong Cha took a layer of the blanket and went to the couch.

Her choice caused Gu Zixing to be speechless. She really doesn't want to sleep with him.

Hong Cha turned her back against Gu Zixing with her body fully wrapped in a blanket as if guarding herself from any maliciousness. Gu Zixing sighed at this. He thought she had fallen asleep and gently picked her up. Hong Cha was pretending to be in slumber. She secretly looked at Gu Zixing who carried her carefully on the bed. He took a pillow and a blanket. She didn't expect he will give up the bed and he chose to rest on the settee. That brief moment of warmth made her heart thump in a familiar pace. She closed her eyes and ignored the budding feeling.

Later that night, Hong Cha had another dream. She was running in haste, her long white dress scraping the dark forest. Hong Cha looked back to see a group of people shouting angrily at her. She jumped to a ridge and became an orange fox. She hid behind bushes as those that chased her continued forward.

"Hong Cha?" A familiar voice asked and a warm light enveloped her. Hong Cha turned around to see a stranger. She is sure that voice was Gu Zixing's. The person stepped closer while holding a torch. He slowly knelt down and reached for her but Hong Cha bit his hand. Still, the young man didn't harm her and ignored the pain. She released his hand without baring her fangs into his palm. The young man smiled warmly, his caring gaze became very familiar to her. "Hong Cha, lets go home, en?"

Hong Cha woke up abruptly. The man in her dream is new. She had a lucid dream and recalled his face clearly. He looks common but with kind eyes and a sweet smile, the same personality Gu Zixing has. Hong Cha furrowed her brows and turned to Gu Zixing. He is exceptionally beautiful, second to none with his charms. But that man, that simple man, reminds her of Gu Zixing.

The next morning, Hong Cha woke up without Gu Zixing around. She assumed he went out and this gave her time to prepare. Hong Cha combed her hair and saw the red string she kept in a satchel, the same one she threw at Gu Zixing. She remembers not picking it up last night. It must be Gu Zixing who placed it on the desk. Hong Cha still tied her hair with the lace.

"Madame, the breakfast is ready." A staff informed Hong Cha. She stood up and left the room. "Please follow me."

Hong Cha followed the servant to an exclusive courtyard meant for special guests. Gu Zixing is waiting for her but he didn't notice her arrival. He is holding a letter that kept his full attention.

"Madame, Sir Gu Zixing cooked most of the dishes. It is very unbelievable how doting Sir Gu Zixing is." The staff can't help but mention. Men in this era are not supposed to be in a kitchen, only women are allowed there due to strict traditions. But, for a man to willingly enter a kitchen and prepare for a meal, it is admirable and perhaps so rare.

"Is that so." She noticed the meal on the table are familiar. Those are the food she taught him to cook when they were at Alexander's residence years ago.

"Your Highness, this way." Xiao Wen showed up while holding a bowl of caramel candies. Hong Cha was stunned. She still heeded Xiao Wen and took a seat across Gu Zixing.

"Good day, Your Highness." Gu Zixing greeted half-heartedly. He folded the paper and gave her a reluctant glance. "A news arrived from An. It seems it will take more than a month to reach the first city of An. The roads were destroyed by a snowstorm. No one can travel out of Chang'an too since the threat of the weather."

Hong Cha had spent more than a week trying to get out of Tian but this outrageous news caused her to be unhappy.

"Find a way. I can't delay this travel. His Majesty is waiting for me and is hoping my arrival will be in few days time."

"There is no other way than to wait. The weather can't be controlled, threats of avalanche, wolves, and natural disasters are outside this city." Gu Zixing frowned. Why is she so eager to reach An? It's not because of Gu Jiaoyue, was it?

Hong Cha remained silent and started eating. Gu Zixing have a feeling she is brewing something, he wasn't wrong. A few hours after breakfast, Hong Cha continued to travel out of Chang'an. Gu Zixing can't help but quell his dismay. She really hates listening to him.

"Your Highness, I think this is a bad idea..." Xiao Wen shivered from the harsh temperature. The carriage can't move too fast against the windy storm ahead and snow is pouring heavily. Just then, the carriage jolted and a wheel fell off. "Your Highness, are you alright?"

"I... I'm fine." Hong Cha nearly cried out from shock. They carefully headed outside and the carriage can't move. The weather is not so good too.

"The other steed can't go on. Perhaps it is better if one were to ride the last steed to Chang'an and call for help." The driver also gave her a bad news.

"Ow... Head Minister Gu was right." Xiao Wen murmured in discouragement but she quickly pursed her lips, recalling that Hong Cha dislikes him.

Hong Cha thought of another way but the extreme coldness distracted her. Just as they are out of options, they heard a neigh closing by. Xiao Wen's eyes lit up, it was Gu Zixing. She looked at Hong Cha but her master doesn't look pleased. Xiao Wen was dismayed. What should have happened three years ago that this pair of lovers went apart?