Arc 7: Royal Deceit (239)

A special day in Tian occurred. Both its wise crown prince and young master was born coincidentally at the same time. The moon is full and bright like that in the past and the stars are brimming in accompaniment within the darkest night sky. Tian has always regarded this day as something very important. After the birth of both princes, Tian became more blessed every passing year. When they are a year older, House Gu produced another scholar that got the first place in the imperial examination. On the second year of their birth, the problematic winter became less harmful. On the third year, an astronomer concurred that both princes are the cause of auspiciousness in Tian and no one can harm a world if they were not to bear feud. Year after year, Tian became more prosperous and glorious until both princes showed their true potential, bringing more pride to the whole royal family.

Gu Zixing have to go with his family into the palace and Hong Cha was taken to Hong Qingning's side. She also brought a gift for Gu Jiaoyue in order to be considerate. She embroidered a satchel with his given name, one that carries a thumb ring and perfume. It is also his birthday, she can't come here without a present.

Hong Qingning saw Hong Cha's simple gift as they walked closer to the throne. She took the satchel and said to her, "You may sit next to a noble lady closer to the throne. You are my niece, after all, and no one should belittle you as long as I am here. I will take this gift and give it to him in your behalf."

Hong Cha's eyes lit up a bit. She hugged Hong Qingning, unable to perceive her naivety. "Aunt, many thanks."

Hong Qingning nodded. She watched as Hong Cha turned back to leave. Her gaze fell on the satchel. Hong Qingning took out a folded handkerchief with the scent of camellia. She placed it inside the satchel and headed to her throne. Her lips arched smugly.

"Jiaojiao, there you are." She saw Gu Jiaoyue sitting below the dragon throne. Gu Zixing is just next to him too. Hong Qingning scoffed upon passing behind Gu Zixing but the young man endured inwardly. She placed the satchel on Gu Jiaoyue's table before leaving. "That is a gift from Xiao Cha. She made it herself."

Gu Zixing recognized that satchel. He saw Hong Cha embroidering it this morning and he let her be. They went to the marketplace too in search for a gift and agreed to give Gu Jiaoyue a thumb ring. Gu Zixing paid for the expenses, making sure the gift can be at least outstanding. However, why is it the satchel is a bit full?

"This is... A handkerchief?" Gu Jiaoyue retrieved the pink handkerchief and the scent of camellia blossomed. A faint smile formed on his face, Gu Jiaoyue mistook it as a confession*.

(In the ancient China, a male can use hairpins to convey their affection and a female can use handkerchiefs too)

Gu Zixing can't believe it. He glanced at Hong Qingning who gave him a daring glare. Gu Zixing knew it, Hong Cha will never do this, Hong Qingning is making it worse. Gu Jiaoyue is assuming further and further. Once he finds out Hong Cha likes Gu Zixing, he will surely get hurt badly. In order to avoid such consequence, Gu Zixing should back out. Yet, Gu Zixing is set on his words. He can't give up.

The feist started. A lot of important figures greeted Gu Zixing and Gu Jiaoyue with their own unique gifts. Finally, it was the emperor's turn to grant his blessing.

"The Crown Prince's gift can't be announced tonight." Gu Hai said and this made the guests assume what gift will Gu Jiaoyue receive. "However, the gift for Prince Yun can be proclaimed. Zhen has spoken to Head Minister Se Xunyi. His only daughter, Young Miss Se, is granted to be Prince Yun's fiance from today onwards."

Gu Zixing froze, his sight settled on Se Xunyi who raised his cup of wine for him. He had never asked for Se Hong's hand and never will. Where did this idea come from?

"Empress Qing had figured out, it is time for Prince Yun and Young Miss Se to continue what was disrupted in the past." Gu Hai continued. This caused another commotion since everyone knew what that issue was.

Hong Cha turned to Gu Zixing but she noticed he is looking at Se Hong with a dark expression. Se Hong seemed to be as shocked as Hong Cha. She also have no idea what is going on. No one asked her permission but since her father said so, she has no say.

"Your Majesty, this is not right." Gu Shang spoke up. Gu Zixing was alarmed since this can lead to a secret being unravelled.

"Come again?" Gu Hai was puzzled. Why will Gu Shang say something like that?

"Father, Uncle Emperor's decision should be respected." All of a sudden, Gu Zixing said something they didn't anticipate. Meng Ziyan and Gu Shang were very confused. He avoided Hong Cha's gaze and continued, "Young Miss Se is definitely a perfect fiance."

Se Xunyi started to applaud. The rest of the guests followed him and cheered. Hong Cha felt her chest getting stuffy. She stood up abruptly but no one noticed her because they are focused on congratulating Se Xunyi and Gu Shang.

"Miss Hong..." Se Hong wanted to explain but Hong Cha didn't look back. A crowd of noble ladies also blocked her path to felicitate her.

Gu Zixing can't take it anymore. He ignored the curious looks they gave him when he stood up to leave the banquet hall. Gu Zixing hurriedly went down the stairs and avoided the guests that were to greet him. Finally, he found Hong Cha running out of the palace.

"Camellia!" He called for her name and chased after her. Gu Zixing caught her on time but Hong Cha struggled. "Camellia, calm down!"

"You!" She raised her hand to slap him but she can't hurt him even though she felt wronged. Hong Cha lowered her hand. "I don't think I can be a concubine, Gu Zixing."

"Don't you trust me at all? I only said 'respect the emperor's words' and praised Se Hong but did you hear me say I will marry her?" Gu Zixing's questions made Hong Cha pause. Since she is finally steady, Gu Zixing decided to explain more. "I can't outrightly reject her in front of those ministers. Master Se is watching and he is not that simple, Camellia. He can hurt you. I don't want that to happen."

"It's not like you can reject her tomorrow too. That general will still be annoyed." Hong Cha pointed out. At this moment, Hong Qingning's scheme brought them to the edge. "Gu Zixing, what to do?"

He was silent for a moment. Gu Zixing is done with this bet against Hong Qingning. Clearly, he can't rival her when she pulls a lot of strings.

"Let's elope." Gu Zixing reached to a decision. Only by running away can they have freedom to be together, they were left with no choice...