Arc 7: Royal Deceit (244)

Hong Cha waited for someone to knock on the door, anticipating that it was Gu Jiaoyue. She was confused Lou Ying showed up instead.

"His Majesty wished for your presence at the tea room." Lou Ying mentioned. He bowed his head low, a bit reluctant to tell her Hong Qingning's additional order. "Young Miss, the Empress Dowager has been waiting for this day. She will grant Young Miss a freedom to be with Gu Zixing if, the Young Miss can seduce His Majesty."

Hong Cha's eyebrows knitted. "Ridiculous!"

"It is the only way the Young Miss can have a peaceful life with Gu Zixing sooner, than later." Lou Ying interrupted her lament. He also finds it outrageous. Growing up with Hong Ji and Hong Cha, he was never vicious towards them. But without Hong Qiuran or the late Madame Hong, Lou Ying can't do anything. Hong Qingning is now in power and the key for recovering An Country.

There was no other choice. Hong Cha's gaze became dull and she only recovered when she was left alone with Gu Jiaoyue in the tea room. She can't reveal anything to him or Gu Zixing will be in trouble. Gu Jiaoyue had established his position and has taken control over the imperial court. Se Xunyi who is at odds towards Gu Zixing is an aide of Hong Qingning. Gu Zixing will be in great trouble if she makes a mistake.

"Where have you been these past months?" Gu Jiaoyue's tone turned different. Previously, he is emotionless even when facing Hong Qingning. As for Hong Cha, he speaks to her in full concern.

"I..." Her throat clenched, seemingly unwilling to mention any lie that Hong Qingning had her recite. Hong Cha hid her hesitation and her eyes watered. "This northerner, he took me away! Prince Yun tried to save me but he got lost and injured, I hadn't even seen him since!"

Sure enough, a beauty in distress is irresistible. Gu Jiaoyue's gaze became darker. He wanted to find out who dared to abduct Hong Cha. Her tears were like the rain of plum blossoms tearing a soul ruthlessly and her sobs roused pity.

Hong Cha felt a soft fabric pressed on her cheeks, gently drying her tears away. She let Gu Jiaoyue use a handkerchief to seemingly coax her. Hong Cha looked up with her tearful gaze, not for her acting but in guilt.

"Prince Brother, I'm sorry." She thought after getting enveloped in his warm comforting arms. Hong Cha held him back, keeping up her acting like a damsel in distress. She immediately got his favor.

Once Gu Jiaoyue left with a promise to protect her, Hong Qingning approached Hong Cha. She turned to Hong Cha who had her head lowered but her grief can't be hidden.

"Cheer up, my dear. You should be proud being able to conquer an emperor's heart that easy." Hong Qingning lifted Hong Cha's face, her smile can't be any more vicious. "An emperor, for hundreds of years, treated women as objects. Xiao Cha, you don't know how proud I am for this achievement of yours. Next, have him cancel his engagement with the Imperial Tutor's eldest di."

"I, I can't hurt others." She rebuked. Her response caused Hong Qingning to be displeased. "Aunt, why are you doing this? Can't you see I was fine with Gu Zixing? Why do I have to do this?"

"You know nothing, Xiao Cha." Hong Qingning turned her back but Hong Cha harshly grabbed her.

"You're also going to ruin Prince Brother!"

"You are the one ruining your life! You are such an impudent brat, even when you were young! You are so impulsive and one day, I am telling you this, you will regret your decisions." Hong Qingning pulled her arm back and Hong Cha fell from the impact. Her anger diminished after seeing Hong Cha in pain. "Ying, lock her up!"

Lou Ying hastily helped Hong Cha. "Let's go, Young Miss."

Hong Cha has to continue her deception. She became Gu Jiaoyue's dodder flower, a threat for his fiance. Although she was ordered to manipulate his decisions and steal the empress position, Hong Cha wasn't determined enough. She let her be the rumored enchantress Gu Jiaoyue favored, and let his fiance be the victim of this humiliation. Hong Cha was then seen as the same calamitous beauty that will become a favored concubine soon. She might even become the cause of the future empress to be deposed. Even though people see her as a demeaning vixen, she didn't say a word and stayed under Gu Jiaoyue's protection.

_____________

Looking back, those were memories of her innocent stupid self. Hong Cha can't help but smile mockingly upon recalling those hesitation she went through. She now regrets she is unable to steal the empress position but luckily, Gu Jiaoyue's heart remained in her palm. People hated her back then for causing the Imperial Tutor's daughter lose her confidence in ever gaining the emperor's affection. It was a good thing for Hong Cha presently. The current empress is now deposed.

Her phoenix eyes fell on the main palace ahead. Her smile slowly faded. The reason she have Gu Jiaoyue restrained is because of the guilt that consumed him.

Hong Cha failed to stop the empress ascension and received a punishment from Hong Qingning. Through her aunt's manipulation, a news reached Gu Jiaoyue that Hong Cha deliberately ran away that night and married a man southeast. After all he had done for her, after doting on her, after protecting her from all insults, he received this news?

Gu Jiaoyue didn't take it well. He asked Lou Ying to bring her to his palace and that is where it started.