Arc 7: Royal Deceit (273)

Two cups already made Hong Cha dizzy. She hanged her head low while trying to appear alright outside. Nian Xiaoyuan drank another cup and smiled at her. Currently, her arrogance was washed away. It gave her an ignorant but adorable appearance with her cheeks stained red. If he was not experienced and was younger, he will surely be impulsive and trick this woman to end up in his bed. However, he didn't ask her to drink because of lust. Nian Xiaoyuan placed his cup down and kept his gaze on her.

"Where were you born?"

His question caused Hong Cha to raise her head. She can't bother to think why and gave an answer.

"I was born in An Country. It's not a very big empire like Tian but it's very rich." Hong Cha propped her cheek on her hand with her eyes drooped. She smiled bitterly after remembering more. "It's a beautiful place, before Bai Regimen seized it. Ah, no, it was beautiful before my family died for it!"

Nian Xiaoyuan noticed her grievances. Hong Cha laughed a bit as Nian Xiaoyuan listened once more.

"I lived there without worries. I was surrounded by people who loved me and my temper was equal to a spoiled princess. But, right at this moment, I'm degraded to this state! Can you believe? I once had a father who was so wise in the battlefield with an eldest brother who cares for me the most, but they took them away! They... They even used him..." Hong Cha's tone lowered when she recalled Gu Zixing killed her father and led the hunting for Hong Ji. She held back her tears and murmured, "I hate Bai Regimen, anyone within the north. Pack of rogues feeding on other people's flesh! Disgusting!"

At the moment, Nian Xiaoyuan was calm. He should have felt insulted with her words but seeing her cry so honestly, he have no heart to add salt to the wound. Warlord Bai is an unscrupulous but tactical leader, however, it cost him the reliance of his constituents and hatred from his enemies.

"Did your father or eldest brother save you during that time?" He slowly asked. Hong Cha laughed again, but with a tune of nostalgia.

"My mother and siblings did their best to protect me when An was intruded. And then, I found my eldest brother. He sacrificed himself to save me too. I end up in a flower house later on, as a spoil of war. The madame trained me for four years to become adequate in seduction. A lot of my sisters in the brothel hated me because I can earn money without selling my body. Until, one night, in a banquet, I... I was introduced to him."

"Emperor Yong?" Nian Xiaoyuan stopped filling the cup. He looked up to see Hong Cha shaking her head. Her smile was pure at the moment, he was entranced unknowingly.

"No. Gu Zixing." She remembers, that fateful night, she knew, she was redeemed from damnation. "He was a spy of my father's sister, the empress of Tian before Emperor Yong ascended. He was sent to retrieve me and my family through the order of my aunt. Unfortunately, only I am left. Fortunately, I met him. You know, as I think back, I was thinking if it was because of excessive luck or fate that I met Gu Zixing that night. Supposedly, he is my first customer and the madame introduced me to him. However, he saw through me in the instant and knew I'm not ready for it. He is so kind, he didn't touch me and even comforted me. Can you believe such a person exists in this world?"

"Kind, che." Nian Xiaoyuan scoffed and sipped on the drink. "What's so good about him?"

"Well, do you know what sort of person you are?" She asked back.

"Very clear. So?" He noticed she was immersed to her memories. Gu Zixing must have been her sweetheart but something caught up and Emperor Yong came in between.

"You are his opposite."

"Huh?" Nian Xiaoyuan blinked. How does that answer his question?

"Most people thinks of you as a rogue, which I agree with. But, Gu Zixing is not. He is your opposite. If you are ruthless, he is benevolent. If you have a lot of women, he is loyal. If you are selfish, he is selfless. He did everything for the good of everyone. Even if that costs his life." Hong Cha didn't notice Nian Xiaoyuan's darkened eyes.