Arc 7: Royal Deceit (266)

Hong Cha cried till she fainted from being too emotional. Looking at her lonely silhouette, her tearstained face frowned in a painful reminiscence. Warlord Xuan stood on the bed's side without moving. His gaze was hooded and languid as his grey eyes flashed with an unknown emotion. He rarely finds women pitiful. Furthermore, someone as beautiful as her, she is a great danger. However, he is still a man. Getting fascinated is simple. He hooked his lips to a grin. He had never expected he will spare a woman from his controls. Even he can't understand himself.

When Warlord Xuan got out of his residence, he saw a figure standing blankly besides the moon gate. He is very familiar with that woman.

"Se Hong, why are you here?" He called out which made her stop from leaving.

"I... I was wondering where will you take the consort." Se Hong faced him slowly and hid her nervousness. She is very clear how cruel this man is. "Nian Xiaoyuan, that consort, it can't be you fancy her?"

Se Hong tried to see through his arrogant cold face but it was to no avail, she can't find anything aside from his wanton lazy smile.

"Why? Afraid I will take in a concubine, my wife?" Nian Xiaoyuan asked in a haughty tone. Se Hong quickly looked away and shook her head. He chuckled at her submissiveness and pinched her chin. Nian Xiaoyuan can trace fear and grief from her eyes but he showed no sign of mercy. "Se Hong, I like your obedience. But, you're envy is too much."

"N-no! I'm not!" Se Hong can almost kneel and beg for forgiveness. She looked at him sincerely to prove her point. "I wasn't planning anything..."

"Hmph." Nian Xiaoyuan snorted and let her go. He turned his back to return to his residence.

Se Hong can finally breathe without his overbearing presence. She left, wiping her aggrieved tears. "How did he become like this?"

The next morning, Hong Cha woke up in her given room. She can't remember anything from yesterday night. Her memories stopped when she drank strong alcohol that the unruly Warlord Xuan gave. Thinking of him, her heart was filled with fury. She quickly forgot about him and thought of returning to Tian.

"Your Highness, Warlord Xuan is waiting outside."

Hong Cha was stunned with the servant's news. She opened her door and heard light tapping of heels. Hong Cha saw through her hazy veil to see a tall person arriving.

"Warlord Xuan." The servants around her knelt down but Nian Xiaoyuan said nothing and caught Hong Cha's wrist.

"You!" She was taken aback by his rudeness. If his ancestors are still alive, they will surely hide in a hole for his shamelessness!

"You're so slow." Nian Xiaoyuan pulled her and his casual sneer is still on his face. "Let's go. Xuan has a lot to offer for you."

"I'm not going!" Hong Cha fought back. She felt the grip around her wrist, making her grimace in pain.

"Are you coming or not?" Nian Xiaoyuan asked, his tone carrying insurmountable arrogance.

"Scoundrel!" Hong Cha muttered in a low voice but Nian Xiaoyuan heard her. He shrugged indifferently and dragged her out.

"Aiya! Her Highness hadn't eaten yet!" A mama shouted in worry.

Nian Xiaoyuan looked at Hong Cha, his gaze unreadable and finally, sighed. "Xuan has a famous restaurant. I haven't tried that place yet."

Hong Cha scoffed and followed him with staggering footsteps. She nearly tripped because of her long skirt. Nian Xiaoyuan held her on time.

"Ah, I didn't know the royal consort likes me very much." He teased and even squeezed her soft waist. Nian Xiaoyuan's unique grey eyes flickered with an unfathomable light.

"Warlord Xuan, please mind your manners!" She has been enduring since yesterday but this Warlord Xuan is really unbearable!

"I'm sorry, I was not raised a gentleman." Nian Xiaoyuan was amused. After seeing her true face, he wonders how red she is right now. Just thinking is enough to make him laugh. "This is Xuan, Your Highness, not your 'civilized' Tian."

"No wonder our Tian people ridicules you, northerners." Hong Cha taunted back. She recalled the old Warlord Bai, at least that geezer is not as insulting as this man.

"We know, but we don't care. Xuan is Xuan, Tian is Tian. Unless, I conquer Tian and change their culture. Yes, its a good idea!"

"You! Outrageous!" Hong Cha pulled her wrist but she was suddenly dragged closer to his body. She frowned to feel his cold palm stuck on her back. His body emits faint coolness. Hong Cha faked her tripping and Nian Xiaoyuan steadied her. She took this chance to touch his wrist.

"What are you doing?" Nian Xiaoyuan sensed something off and held her neck. His gaze became utterly cold that Hong Cha shivered unconsciously.

"You... You are poisoned." She knows, even with that quick moment of feeling his pulse. For years, she studied medicine and she became efficient on this field. She knew his low temperature is odd and her guess was proven.

Nian Xiaoyuan narrowed his eyes. He exerted more force that Hong Cha slowly got suffocated. All of a sudden, her stomach growled.

"That..." Hong Cha doesn't know what to say. The pinch around her neck loosened and the tense atmosphere eased. She breathed a sigh of relief.

Nian Xiaoyuan's face was not good. He snorted and dragged her harshly once more. Hong Cha stayed silent this time. She is sure he will kill her without a proper reason at all. This reminded her of the rumors the officials said to Gu Jiaoyue. Warlord Xuan is unreasonable, peace treaty is impossible to establish with him. He can kill anyone without an excuse, proving his uncontrollable personality. Perhaps he is even a madman. Hong Cha felt a sudden chill in her heart. She decided to stay calm and not provoke him. Once she loses her life, Tian will be in danger, House Gu will turn to ruins.

Furong Pavilion is the famous restaurant of Xuan. With its unique delicacies, Furong Pavilion became the best place for luxurious dining. It had reached different territories, even in Tian but it started here in Xuan. Nian Xiaoyuan's arrival caused the staffs to be stiff and attentive. He had never entered Furong Pavilion and it was a relief in the past because of his unpredictable temper. They became careful as to not offend him. They are also informed the veiled woman with him is the greatest beauty of the southerners.

Hong Cha lifted her veil and overlooked the so-called 'menu'. She had entered various restaurants in the past but none of them had something like this. This place is indeed different, even the listed food are strange.

"What is a... Smoothie?" She lowered her veil and turned to the server. Nian Xiaoyuan also stopped skimming through the thin booklet.

"Ah, it is a sweet desert meant for countering the sunny days of summer, Your Highness."

"Have everything prepared." Nian Xiaoyuan doesn't want to dally anymore after hearing Hong Cha's impatient stomach. He noticed her lower her head, he is aware she is ashamed. The corner of his lips tilted upwards.