Arc 7: Royal Deceit (260)

"Xiao Cha?" Hong Ji knocked on the door of her room. Hong Cha didn't answer. She had her chin propped on her arms that are folded above the windowsill. Her fascinated gaze fell on the starry night sky with half the full moon covered with a waning cloud. She reached her hand our when the door opened. She immediately lowered her hand and turned around. "Xiao Cha, why are you still here? There are young masters waiting for you."

"Why are they here? I just turned fourteen! Can't they wait for my hairpin ceremony next year?" Hong Cha huffed and looked outside again. She heard Hong Ji laugh and felt his hand squeezing her head a bit. He stood next to her and they both appreciated the night sky. "Hong Ji, I like it when it's dark."

"Huh?" He got confused. Hong Cha sat up with her head on her hands.

"I like it when it is dark. The stars are easier to see." She continued. Hong Cha sighed dreamily and her lips pouted. "When Prince Brother left, I was thinking why I mentioned I can exchange the moon for the stars. That moon over there is brighter and easy to get a lot of attention. I like it the way other people appreciates it too. Isn't it like Prince Brother?"

"If you say so. His Highness is the first prince of Tian, he ranked second in their academy, I heard he went to West Wu to study more. Only the wisest can go there. Wherever he goes, he is always the brightest." Hong Ji agreed. He grinned and asked, "Why? Does Xiao Cha worries a lot of girls will stare at him too? Do you like him?"

"Brother, no!" Hong Cha glared. "I don't like him, or whatever, but I like him as my extended brother. So, he is the moon, right? He is the brightest, he overshadows the stars. They are so small but I don't know, I just like them better than the moon. I see its humble beauty, it doesn't need to be as extravagant as the moon."

"Then?" Hong Ji can't understand. She's only fourteen but what is she talking about? He can't even comprehend it.

"I don't want someone like the attractive moon, I want someone humble and nice like those little stars." Hong Cha smiled and she just felt it was right. She never dreamt of marrying a man with great power, simple will do. If he have no money then she can use her own wealth, if he is lonely then she can accompany him, if he is common then she will treat him like someone special.

"Should I chase away those young masters at the guest hall?" Hong Ji joked. The young girl giggled and nodded. "Xiao Cha, I just thought you look young but your soul seems old."

"Hong Ji, you're old!" She harrumphed and stood up. Hong Cha paused on her steps and her room darkened. The moment everything became clear, she is curled up behind a bush. Her dress was red with blood and a bit tattered, the pampered young miss can't be seen from her depraved appearance. "Hong Ji..."

Hong Cha woke up from that dream. She was crying without knowing. Her hands are trembling again. Hong Cha bit her lip to suppress her sobs, her shoulder shook and tears unhurriedly dampened the bedsheet. Suddenly, soothing warmth enclosed her. A pair of hands covered hers and someone held her closely to secure her.

"Camellia, if you are hurting, you don't have to burden yourself alone." His gentle voice whispered to her closely. Hong Cha's cold heart seemed to have crumbled down and her cries became evident. He raised his hand and cleared her tears like he used to.

"Hong Ji." She held his hand, her sight blurry and her thoughts muddled. Gu Zixing paused, her hold is unwilling to let go. "Hong Ji, why him? Why Gu Zixing?"

Gu Zixing doesn't know. He smiled painfully and whispered back, "Gu Zixing loves you. Don't you know?"

Of course, she knew. Every time she appears in a banquet with Gu Jiaoyue, she can always see his struggles. His smiles became fake, devoid of gentleness and kindness. His amber eyes will loose its golden flecks, as if the heart inside was dead. She had purposely curried for Gu Jiaoyue's favor to see if Gu Zixing is affected and he is. She had seen him look devastated but forced to hide his sorrows. Yet, she ended up wondering every night, why hadn't he give up?

He saw her accompany an emperor before his officials. He saw her being embraced by the emperor towards her palace. He saw her ridicule what they have in the past.

Hong Cha can't help but feel the pain he went through. She cried on Gu Zixing to exhaustion. He was ever so understanding. No one can be like him. He understands her the most and comforts her even if she had done him wrong. He is the one enduring, maybe hoping they can still be together. But he is wrong, they can't be, after all the resistance she had placed.

A month had passed quite fast. Snow decreased slowly and the scent of spring wafted in Chang'an. If Gu Zixing was the one in control, he could have stopped time. This month is quite special for him. She let him be the husband and cared for her the most. It didn't go to waste though. Hong Cha caught a cold and he was there to help her recover. From being indifferent, she became a little bit warmer. Hong Cha no longer pushes him away, although she rarely laugh and smile. He also thought her mischievousness returned. There was a night they slept together, like usual, without doing anything off. Hong Cha will steal his tofu and appreciate his body. In the end, she was pushed down everywhere in the room, tired and resentful of his stamina.

Hong Cha still wants to hide their relationship. She asked the driver instead to fetch her herbs for a contraceptive. So, even if Gu Zixing works hard, it won't bear anything. Gu Zixing had a hunch she did something behind his back but he never brings a topic like that. When he mentioned of dreaming having a family, Hong Cha will give him a ridiculing glance and say nothing. It was obvious she is against his hints. It was obvious, she won't be with him that long...