Arc 7: Royal Deceit (234)

"Useless!" An angry shout came from an old lonely palace. Alexander was passing by when he heard this. He recognized that voice was Gu Chi Lian's.

"I can no longer continue. Warlord Bai is the one in command." The same man in black informed Gu Chi Lian. He stood up after kneeling and headed to the open door. "Won't you do anything to save her?"

"Let her die, she's worthless!" Zhao Xue failed him. He will not waste his time thinking of a way to save her. Either way, the emperor will protect him from getting detained.

"I see. Warlord Bai will know the attempt failed. Thus, the northern regimen won't help you succeed."

Alexander frowned after listening. After An Country, Warlord Bai is now aiming for Tian Empire?

With the attempted assassination, the engagement ceremony was called off. Hong Cha was being attended by a female physician. Gu Zixing waited for her outside her room but he recalled he hadn't spoken to Gu Jiaoyue yet. He looked for Gu Jiaoyue and found him at the living room.

"Jiaoyue, sorry, I wasn't able to entertain you." Gu Zixing approached him. Gu Jiaoyue stood up and nodded. "Where is Auntie Empress?"

"She will come back a little late." Gu Jiaoyue glanced at the stairs leading to the second floor. He turned to Gu Zixing with a smile. "Zixing, I am very thankful you brought Xiao Cha here. Foster Mother will be glad to finally see her niece. I also saw how you defended her."

"It was lucky you were there too. If I didn't arrive on time..." Gu Zixing feared he will lose her permanently. He nearly lost his temper when he saw Hong Cha's injuries.

"It's the least I can do. Xiao Cha is important to me. I can't let anything happen to her." He had long wished to protect her. She was just too young back then and he knew the feud going on between Hong Qingning and General Hong. It made things difficult he can't even care for her the way he wanted to.

"Jiaoyue, do you...like her?" Gu Zixing have a feeling. As a man, he can tell what the other is thinking. When Gu Jiaoyue nodded, Gu Zixing was at loss. "No, you can't, you can't like her."

"Why not?" Gu Jiaoyue thought Gu Zixing is trying to pull a joke. "Foster Mother already promised Xiao Cha to me. You do remember I went to An at thirteen, right? I stayed there long enough to witness her grow up from a child to a little young miss. I can even remember when I am about to leave An, Xiao Cha wanted me to stay. Now that she is here, she doesn't have to worry anymore. Zixing, I owe you. I know I can entrust her to you, you never failed me."

"This... It's not possible, are you saying she is betrothed to you?" A mix of unpleasant emotions caused ripples in his heart. Gu Zixing hated it.

"En. Here are the proof, a letter from General Hong and Foster Mother." Gu Jiaoyue handed Gu Zixing two envelopes.

The first letter was from General Hong. It was the day of An's strife. He wrote in the letter that he might fail his country. He wanted Hong Qingning to aid him and he can exchange Hong Cha for it. It was because he knew Hong Qingning chose Hong Cha to be Gu Jiaoyue's princess consort. General Hong knows how good Gu Jiaoyue is. Although he doesn't talk a lot and rarely shows emotion, Gu Jiaoyue displayed his deep concerns for Hong Cha whenever they are together. He thought Gu Jiaoyue deserved Hong Cha more than anyone else. He can die assured if his daughter marries Gu Jiaoyue.

This made Gu Zixing feel incompetent. On the second letter was Hong Qingning's reply. She sent a trustworthy person (Gu Zixing) to save them from the war. Hong Qingning sealed the agreement with her brother and will not let this deal be destroyed. Whatever happens, Hong Cha will live a better life as Gu Jiaoyue's princess consort. No other person can intervene. And, if Hong Cha's parents die, she will be under Hong Qingning's full custody.

The words and promises of elderlies are to be respected, that is what Gu Zixing learnt in his childhood which he still carries. He is now struggling what to do. Hong Cha loves him, but she is not ready for a marriage or a family yet. She will surely be devastated to know this. Furthermore, there is Hong Qingning. Even if Gu Zixing wants her to be his fiance, Hong Qingning can stop that. A girl has no say in her fate, it all depends to her guardian.

Gu Zixing folded the letters and did his best to hide his true feelings. "Jiaoyue, she is not feeling well. If you could, you can visit her tomorrow or any days. I will inform this to her. Rest assured."

"I understand." Gu Jiaoyue didn't suspect him the least. In his mind, Gu Zixing is a friend he can always count on.

Hong Cha touched the bandage on her cheek. The memories of today recurred in her mind. What Zhao Xue said is right, she is very weak and too dependent on Gu Zixing. She is just a good for nothing harlot.

Hong Cha stopped thinking when the door opened. She looked up to see Gu Zixing. He closed the door and strode to her direction.

"Does it still hurt?" He gently asked. Hong Cha shook her head. Gu Zixing helplessly sighed. How will he tell her? "Camellia, I..."

"Don't be sorry." Hong Cha thought he will apologize for being careless. He always does that. She held his hand and smiled to him. "Gu Zixing, let's get married?"

Her question caused him to feel a thousand of remorse. Gu Zixing clenched his fist underneath his sleeve, the letters crumpled within his grasp.

"Gu Zixing, I thought it through. I am past my right age. If I keep dragging this longer, I'm afraid we can't be together. There are so many possibilities in the future that can stop us. I want us to marry, because I want you to be happy." Hong Cha have a bad premonition that something wrong will occur again.

Gu Zixing suddenly embraced her. Hong Cha was confused but she felt afraid for some reason.

"Camellia, sorry..."