Arc 7: Royal Deceit (228)

Lately, Gu Zixing seemed to have changed. He wouldn't speak to Hong Cha if she won't ask. It was like he is dealing with a stranger and whenever they pass by each other, Gu Zixing no longer smiles or talk to her. Hong Cha can't understand it. She only said it was a joke and he bought that lie? Then, he started becoming indifferent? Why? He can't take a prank like that?

These complicated thoughts overwhelmed Hong Cha. She felt bad every time she sees Gu Zixing. Hong Cha was struggling if she needs to confess her feelings or wait for him to cool down. Gu Zixing is nice, he will surely forgive her in no time.

Her confidence was broken when she frequently saw Gu Zixing with Se Hong. He often laugh and smile with her. Se Hong is innocent and has a vulnerable personality. Every time she saw them together, it was the scene in books where the fragile beauty gets accompanied by a reliable man. Hong Cha will stand unseen on the side but even if she tried to look unmoved, it brought her invisible pain. Hong Cha would leave, she can't last another second witnessing their lovely exchange.

She'll never be the innocent girl Gu Zixing prefers to. She is often mischievous and stubborn. Her face is sinful and troubling, he disliked that, doesn't he?

Mid-Autumn Festival is tonight. Hong Cha was invited by Meng Ziyan to join them. The Mid-Autumn Banquet in the palace is certainly lively and lavish. Every guests have to wear their best attire and accessories. With Meng Ziyan around, Hong Cha was prepared.

She wore a delicate peach colored skirt and a light pink blouse. Her dress was topped with a soft dawn-themed cloak. Its cuffs and collar were surrounded by fluffy furs. Her round small face was framed by it and caused her to look like a fragile beauty. Although she doesn't look innocent, her charm is otherworldly. It was as if she needs a man to dote on her. Even the male servants of the manor were fantasizing to be granted a moment to accompany her.

Gu Zixing saw Hong Cha arrive with his mother. He greeted Meng Ziyan first and upon turning to Hong Cha, he was stupefied. She look very provocative even though her whole body was cloaked. It made him feel uncomfortable since he knew that other men will be attracted to her. He doesn't want that to happen.

"Huh?" Hong Cha was taken aback when Gu Zixing raised the hood of her cloak and lowered it enough to cover her upper face. She lifted the hood and looked at him with a smile. "It's not too cold out here."

Gu Zixing didn't explain. He motioned for her to enter the carriage first. Hong Cha was at loss, she thinks Gu Zixing doesn't like her. When he entered the carriage, Hong Cha can't help it.

"Are you worried I will feel cold?"

"No." He spared Hong Cha a glance. Gu Zixing turned to the window and ignored her wronged appearance. "Keep your face hidden. It will endanger you."

Hong Cha's mood was lifted. He still cares, although, in an unexpected way. She will follow as he says.

The travel was silent. Hong Cha is afraid to bring up a topic and her pride held her back from apologizing. However, when she made up her mind to say sorry, the carriage stopped. Gu Zixing stepped out before she can say a word.

"No, I can't give up!" She earned her courage and went out of the carriage. Gu Zixing had his back facing her. She reached out to his sleeve, no longer hesitant to waste a moment. "Gu Zixing-"

"Hm? Hong Cha?" Se Hong peeked at the back. She was just talking with Gu Zixing when she heard Hong Cha. "You're here too!"

"Miss Se, h-hello." Hong Cha subconsciously released Gu Zixing's sleeve. They looked at each other and she can tell Gu Zixing disliked the way she called him.

"Hong Cha, you have your maids with you, right? I want to have a moment with Xing first, privately. He can't accompany you tonight." Se Hong implied.

Hong Cha frowned. She is a foreigner, she is not well acquainted with Tian. She is unwilling to be alone here.

"Gu... Prince Yun, I can't go there on my own..." She sought for Gu Zixing's help. Hong Cha could see he doesn't want to. She became afraid she will be alone again, her heart thumped in deep fear. "Gu Zixing, we made a deal. You said you won't break your promises! My-, my last condition, you can't leave me behind tonight!"

Gu Zixing showed no reaction. Hong Cha was resolute with her demand, she doesn't care even if other female guests are whispering about her wishfulness. First of all, she disrespected a royalty by calling his name out loud. Second, she demanded to him like a selfish and jealous first wife. Lastly, she look desperate. Who wouldn't hate her?

"You can't just order Xing around!" Se Hong went between them. She finds it ridiculous a nobody can outrageously make a demand to Gu Zixing. "Hong Cha, I was too good towards you because you are Xing's friend, he told me you two are 'friends'. Why are you being so ridiculous today? Xing is not your servant. He is a prince and House Gu's young master. How dare you demand his accompaniment? You are not even a princess! You're just his friend!"

"Se Hong!" Gu Zixing heard enough. He can't see Hong Cha's expression because of the hood covering her face. However, he no longer wants Hong Cha to suffer.

"Who is that girl?" Someone raise a question within the crowds. Hong Cha looked at her surrounding to see so many proper young ladies whispering about.

"I bet she is ugly. She hides her face and Young Master Gu pitied her."

"That's true. Young Master Gu is a kindhearted person. Even a stray dog got close to him, heh."

"Pathetic. Who is she anyway?"

Hong Cha clenched her fists. She shouldn't have relied on Gu Zixing too much. She got used to his kindness, never knowing it was his nature to care. And she, as a fool, believed he likes her.

"Forget I said anything." Hong Cha stepped back. She only had one thing in mind and that is to run away.

Run away again, just like when she abandoned everyone so she can live. Hong Cha turned her back just as Gu Zixing tried to reach for her.

"Xing!" Se Hong stopped him from advancing. "What are you doing? His Majesty is waiting for you, you represent House Gu tonight. Don't tell me you will follow her?"