Arc 7: Royal Deceit (255)

For the next day, he didn't see Hong Cha again. Xiao Wen will attend him and bring the medicines he needed. She is on his side, fortunately. She informed him Hong Cha took over her small room and never got to convince her madame to sleep in the same chamber as Gu Zixing. However, Hong Cha kept making the medicinal soup, much bitter than before though as if purposely punishing him. Gu Zixing recovered quite fast and acted a play with Xiao Wen.

"Your Highness, Lord Gu won't wake up!" Xiao Wen rushed into the side wing and alerted Hong Cha. She froze for a while before she hastily stood up. Xiao Wen stayed in the side wing and giggled. "Aiya, Her Highness is not that good at pretending."

Hong Cha arrived at the designated room with an unconvinced look. She saw Gu Zixing lying motionlessly on the bed. Her heart thumped in disbelief. She slowly touched his wrist to check his pulse but his cold skin caused her to let go immediately.

"Head Minister Gu?" She tapped his cheek but there is no response. Hong Cha frowned. She leaned on his chest but heard no heartbeat. Her eyes widened and she sat up in shock. Hong Cha covered her mouth and her eyes started to dampen. With a trembling voice, she called, "Gu... Gu Zixing?"

"Uncle Gu!!" A child's voice shouted from outside and two figures dashed into the room. Hong Cha wasn't given a time to react. A young boy suddenly jumped on Gu Zixing. "Uncle Gu, wake up, Father Yuan said you have gifts for us!"

Hong Cha was taken aback when Gu Zixing woke up with a start. He painfully held on his stomach that the boy sat on a while ago. Gu Zixing immediately met Hong Cha's searing gaze. He got caught, he just wanted to see how much she cares for him and acted dead to see if she will plead for him to return. But, a boy thwarted it.

"What a lovely lady." A girl caught Hong Cha's attention. She turned to the child standing close to her. "I can't believe Uncle Gu will marry someone like you."

"You must be kidding, Yaoyao. Father Yuan said Uncle Gu isn't capable of finding a wife!" The young boy got off Gu Zixing and got a closer look at Hong Cha. "No way! You're not Uncle Gu's wife, right?"

Hong Cha glanced at Gu Zixing in contempt. He dared to make her worry and pretend dead!? "No."

Her cold no can't affect Gu Zixing's determination. Even if she declines she is his wife, they both know the truth.

"See, Yaoyao? Then, pretty miss, I'm Gu Qinyan. I'm single." The young boy even puffed his chest to show his pride. Hong Cha laughed a bit.

"Yanyan, that's my wife you're talking to." Gu Zixing pulled the boy in a tight embrace. Gu Qinyan struggled as if they are enemies.

"She said no!"

"She's just angry, we had a little fight." He chuckled. Gu Zixing turned to Hong Cha and noticed she was at a loss. If, they hadn't separated, they should have had a family by now.

"Miss, I'm Gu Qinyao. May I know your name?" The young girl tugged at Hong Cha's sleeve and asked politely.

"It's... Hong Cha." She finds the two kids very adorable. The boy is loudly silly and the girl is silently serious.

"Hong Cha? What a lovely name." Gu Qinyan's eyes brightened.

"Yanyan, Yaoyao, you disturbed them!" A sweet voice said from the door. Gu Qinyan and Gu Qinyao hurriedly got off the bed and held the lady's arms. "Zixing, I'm so sorry. They just ran off when I wasn't looking. Oh, this lady is...?"

"Mother, her name is Hong Cha. She's so pretty, can she be my bride once I grow up?" Gu Qinyan asked with a hopeful gaze but his mother face-palmed.

"Yanyan, you're only ten." Gu Zixing laughed and hugged Hong Cha. The lady in his arms instantly shook her shoulder and gave him a cold look. He kissed her cheek in return. Hong Cha was left speechless.

"Well, you're in mid twenties! You're old, and you will get older. The pretty miss won't like someone who is old." Gu Qinyan scoffed in return. "I'm younger and will grow up handsome."

"Aiya, Yanyan, that is your uncle you are daunting. Go back downstairs, your father is waiting there. Yaoyao, look after your brother." Their mother instructed. When the youngsters are gone, she turned to the couple on bed. "Zixing, we are sorry we can only visit today. These past days, the snow won't stop falling. Yuan heard you got sick. If you can, join us in a courtyard for a meal. Yuan is really worried. If not, I will call him here."

"No, it's fine. I can go. Someone took care of me." Gu Zixing advanced to hold Hong Cha's hand.

Hong Cha didn't resist. She looked at their entwined hands, reminiscing that lovely Double Seventh Festival where she compared them. It still hasn't changed.

The moment they are left alone, Hong Cha stood up. "I hate you."

Three careless words can sometimes heal a broken heart, but there are another three careless words than can scar an injured heart.

"Even if you do." Gu Zixing thought and remembered the lingering warmth she left on his palm. "Even if you do hate me, I still love you though."